Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card issues. I think.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kabelawson

Kabelawson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

So recently, my computer has just been fine then all of a sudden shuts down randomly, if I go to play a game, the game runs just fine but then I start to get some freezing between game plays, about every 10-15 minutes my PC just shuts down completely.

I thought it was the powersupply so I went out and bought another one. 700 watt EVGA and I have just installed it but my PC is doing the same thing.

I took a look at my graphics card (Radeon 6870) and the fan inside it is either not spinning or when it does spin it'l go for a couple seconds and stop. Now I assume my PC could be shutting down due to the GC getting hot?

I've taken the card out, air blasted everything, even the ports it goes into it, I've did the same with every plug and my RAM. but the problem still consists.  My card does seem like its running hot because it feels hotter than the other components in my PC.

My question is, is my graphics card going out?

Is this shutting my computer down?

What can I do to fix this issue, last resort buying a new one.

EDIT: what should I be expecting, this graphics card is about 4 years old right now. Should I try replacing a fan or can I?

Edited by Kabelawson, 19 January 2016 - 10:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Is the fan plugged into the gpu? Otherwise it sounds like it is going out.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 vershamittal

vershamittal

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:07 AM

This problem may be due to your card or fan freezing. Time to replace your graphic card and also check your fan, it is working properly or not.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

What version of drivers are you running? There was a fan speed but with a particular version of Crimson...
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users