Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite- not recognizing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 angryatthiscomputer

angryatthiscomputer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

hi there

i was wiping and reinstalling a clean copy of windows 7 on my laptop, and it froze during the installation process and forced me to reboot.  it was virus free, just an old laptop that I had in storage and now want to use again for work.

After that freeze/reboot, it will not recognize any hard drive I attach to it.  Boots up to the Toshiba loading screen, then to a black screen with the error message "please insert boot device then try again"

The hard drive itself is perfectly fine from what I can tell. I've tested it both running on another PC and on an external hard drive docking station. I've reinstalled windows on it via connection to an alternate PC.  I can easily access files and everything else installed on it.

the laptop still will not recognize it. I'm at my wits end with this stupid thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

Not knowing any more about your computer than the above, I'd guess your motherboard may have a problem.  Bad caps possibly?  I think I'd see if I could get a DVD with Linux on it and see what happens when you boot from that.  If you don't have a copy of Linux, you can download it from here:

http://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php .

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 19 January 2016 - 08:28 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 angryatthiscomputer

angryatthiscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

what information do you need?

It's a toshiba satellite e45t-a4100

#4 angryatthiscomputer

angryatthiscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

it's only a couple of years old. would the motherboard go bad on it that quickly??

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

it's only a couple of years old. would the motherboard go bad on it that quickly??

Certainly. I find Toshiba's to last the shortest. Have you ever dropped the laptop?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 angryatthiscomputer

angryatthiscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:54 PM

Certainly. I find Toshiba's to last the shortest. Have you ever dropped the laptop?

Not that I know of.  It did belong to someone else prior to me, so I'm not sure if they did or not.

#7 angryatthiscomputer

angryatthiscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:45 PM

considering it's looking like it's about to become a franken computer, is there a better quality motherboard I can replace this with, so that I'm not replacing them every 2 years? lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391103989591?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

Before running off and getting a new motherboard, it may be bad install media and/or optical drive. Because you were going to install a new OS anyway, download a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint and see if the install fails. 

Ubuntu 

Mint

Edit: You can burn the iso to DVD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting "Burn Disk Image". If no DVD is available you can use Rufus and a USB flash drive. Run Rufus and make sure your USB flash drive is listed. Select MBR Partition Scheme. Allow for Quick Format. Everything is as checked. In the dropdown box that lists FreeDos select iso image, click the folder icon, and browse to the Ubuntu or Mint iso you downloaded. Press Start. Backup any data on the USB flash drive as it will be formatted.

Attach the USB flash drive and boot the computer and access the boot menu .On a Toshiba that originally had Windows 7 tap F12. Tapping F2 at boot will get you to BIOS where you can select the Boot Device order if F12 does not work. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#9 angryatthiscomputer

angryatthiscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:57 AM

Before running off and getting a new motherboard, it may be bad install media and/or optical drive. Because you were going to install a new OS anyway, download a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint and see if the install fails. 

Ubuntu 

Mint

Edit: You can burn the iso to DVD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting "Burn Disk Image". If no DVD is available you can use Rufus and a USB flash drive. Run Rufus and make sure your USB flash drive is listed. Select MBR Partition Scheme. Allow for Quick Format. Everything is as checked. In the dropdown box that lists FreeDos select iso image, click the folder icon, and browse to the Ubuntu or Mint iso you downloaded. Press Start. Backup any data on the USB flash drive as it will be formatted.

Attach the USB flash drive and boot the computer and access the boot menu .On a Toshiba that originally had Windows 7 tap F12. Tapping F2 at boot will get you to BIOS where you can select the Boot Device order if F12 does not work. 

Originally when I tried working on getting windows reinstalled, my default on this laptop (since it has no disc drive) once it froze and went to the black screen- was to try to reinstall windows using a usb flash drive and a usb external cd drive. It would not recognize either. Will it do the same thing if it's linux?

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

You can't replace the mobo on a laptop. I would just get new laptop.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 angryatthiscomputer

angryatthiscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

I can't replace it? Why not? I was able to find the replacement part online for it.  

I really don't want to get another laptop. To get another model like this, it will be extremely expensive to replace (it has a touch screen)

The only reason I grabbed this one is because it was already here. If it can't be repaired, I will just have to sell it as is I guess.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

It's possible linux will fail but give it a try using Rufus. You don't have too much to lose at this point. Replacing a motherboard on a laptop is possible but takes some good computer skills and patience plus a good service manual for your model helps. As Captain_Chicken suggested you may be better off purchasing a new computer.

Edit: If the computer has UEFI and not a regular BIOS then it would depend on how you created the Windows 7 usb as you need to do some extra steps to boot a Windows 7 USB on a UEFI computer. Rufus will set this up automatically for booting on a UEFI computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#13 angryatthiscomputer

angryatthiscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

It's possible linux will fail but give it a try using Rufus. You don't have too much to lose at this point. Replacing a motherboard on a laptop is possible but takes some good computer skills and patience plus a good service manual for your model helps. As Captain_Chicken suggested you may be better off purchasing a new computer.

I primarily have worked on PC desktops, and have had no issues building up my computer that way.  I handle all the maintenance on our desktop, and have swapped out every part under the sun on it thus far.  I've had to replace motherboards in the past, and have done upgrades to most of the other internal parts at this point. Everything is good on that end, so I'm confident in my ability there- but it's also not a Toshiba. lol

I just don't have as much experience with laptops, because I frankly have not had much need for one up until this point. Every laptop I have ever had to fix with the exception of one, was a toshiba satellite. They seem to be poorly made and frequently have problems like this.  Had I not been given this laptop for free, I would have never bought one of these. I would literally go to Walmart and buy an Acer, before I'd buy a Toshiba. lol.

I'm really not trying to invest a ton of money in a laptop, but would be willing to buy the part to fix it if needed at some point.  I've tried everything I know how to do thus far, and this problem has me stumped. Everything I've seen so far has led me to believe that this is a hardware issue, but I figured I'd check in here to ask, since I don't work with toshiba very often.  I just found it odd that it crapped out like that during an OS reinstall, after working fine. My only thing was it had been sitting in my office storage  untouched for about a year. I'm wondering if just sitting idly contributed. lololol.  Seems like you breathe the wrong way on a toshiba and they quit working.

I will give Rufus a try this evening though, for sure.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

With your experience you shouldn't have a problem with the motherboard.

#15 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

I've had two Toshiba laptops, one I gave my son after 4 years, another I just replaced after 5 years.  Neither one has had hardware problems.  Maybe I've just been lucky.   :thumbup2:  We won't know if Linux will work on this PC until you try it.  But if you try and it works, it'll save you from having to replace the motherboard for no good reason.  You don't have to install anything, you just boot from the DVD or flash drive, and 3-4 minutes you'll know.

`

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users