Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TRG9386

TRG9386

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

Hello,

I'm operating a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with Windows 7 Pro and it's almost 5 and a half years old now. I posted here many months ago in the malware section and speed issues I was having (which were resolved), but was told that my hard drive was not yet failing but had "been through a lot." I took this to heart and backed up my essential files on my external drive.

Within the last couple of days, the fan has been making a lot of abnormal noises like it's sick. This scared me, so I have started to move most of my remaining files to my external drive. I am having difficult with some of them though. I am unable to move them because I need "administrator permission" to do so. Could this be a sign of hard drive failure? Is there any way to check the current health of my hard drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:33 PM

the fan has been making a lot of abnormal noises like it's sick. Could this be a sign of hard drive failure?

No, probably not.  The case fan or CPU fan has nothing to do with the hard drive. It may be that a bearing on the one of those fans is failing, so it is vibrating and making the loud sound. The fan may have to be replaced which is a minor matter.

backed up my essential files on my external drive.

Very, very smart move!

started to move most of my remaining files to my external drive. I am having difficult with some of them though

If I may make a respectful suggestion, you may want to consider Macrium Reflect (free edition) as a backup tool. Not only will you have the relief of not dealing with administrator privileges, but it will create a complete partition image of your entire hard drive, including all data and system files, and will enable you to make a complete restore to your hard drive OR a new hard drive (in case of a HDD failure) so that you do not have to mess with Microsoft in the event of HDD failure and loss of your operating system with your key number; in addition, you can access every image you create at any time and retrieve data directly off of the backup file.

Is there any way to check the current health of my hard drive?

Yes there is, and it's easy to do. Download Seatools for Windows (free) from:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

When the download completes, double-click on the file and the installer will launch. When the install is done (very quick) click the "Finish" button. There will be a shortcut icon on your desktop. Close all open, running programs and click on the shortcut; accept the EULA screen and the tester will launch.

> The opening screen lists all the HDD disks in your computer, which in your case is only one.

> Put a checkmark in the box to the extreme left of your HDD entry (just click in the box).

> Four columns to the right is the header, "Drive". Under that is the text string, "Ready To Test". This is where the action will be.

> At the top you will see the header, "Basic Tests" with a green checkmark. Click on it.

> You will run two (2) tests, "S.M.A.R.T. Check", and "Long Generic". Simply click first on SMART Check and let it complete, then click on Long Generic and let it complete. Do not run any other tests or features.

> As each test runs, you will see the green progress bar advance. When each test completes, you will get either "Pass" or "Fail". Post back with the results of each of those two tests.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Let us know how it goes.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:16 PM

Hello, and thanks for helping me!

I downloaded the Seatools program and installed it according to the instructions but when I try to open it, I am getting a "fatal error." I tried uninstall and reinstalling but the same thing happens again.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:16 PM

Whatever problem there is, it is in Windows; go to the same website I linked you to and download Seatools for DOS as follows:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.

Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:26 AM

To be more precise, I'm dealing with a CLR 80004005 error. I just googled it and it sounds pretty nasty. Is this something I should try to get fixed.

Unfortunately I don't have any blank CDs at the moment for burning.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

I'm dealing with a CLR 80004005 error

That is a lot different from the case fan making noise. Please furnish more details, especially when this error message started. Are you constantly getting it, or has it been just this once? Did this start immediately after a Windows update was downloaded and installed?

Are you generally able to install and delete programs on your computer without error messages?

After you get some blank DVD disks, run the test as posted above and post back with results.

#7 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

I am not constantly getting that message. It only occurred that once and I did not know I had it until I installed and tried to open the Seatools software. As far as I know I have no Windows updates and I don't recall any other problems with installing programs recently.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

Have you run your test yet?

#9 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

No. Unfortunately, I still have not been able to runt to the store yet to acquire the CDs. I do hope to that I can soon, so I'd like to keep the topic open if possible, please.

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve the CLR 80004005 error in the meantime?

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

That error message means that your .net framework system file is either corrupted or is conflicting with other pre-installed .net framework files on your system. I have only run across this once, and removing existing .net files and reinstalling the latest .net from Microsoft's website fixed the issue. From what I gather, fixes that work for one user sometimes do not work for another. Doing it incorrectly can also create huge problems with your system. Here is one that I used:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5844327_fix-clr-error-computer.html

My suggestion is to put this on the back burner for now; if you have only gotten this message once and are not bothered since, let sleeping dogs lie.  Test your hard drive first to eliminate that as a possibility; then, if it is given a clean bill of health, turn attention to which fan is buzzing. If you start getting CLR 80004005 error messages, start a new thread addressing that issue alone. You will get further faster that way, and the single subject thread will draw more attention from users for help.

Let's take care of this issue first; if you have a fan that is failing that has the potential to create a big problem with overheating, especially with a laptop.

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 January 2016 - 09:53 PM.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

Still with me?

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

I consider this topic abandoned by the OP and have removed it from my answer listing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users