Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions: replacing a power supply

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

So I was donated this Dell Optiplex 780 which I intend to use as a server for approximately 6 hours a day on weekdays (12+ on weekends and my holiday periods)

I noticed that the power supply has a drop of melted glue hanging from one of the holes in the underside. Then, when I was running CentOS 6.7, I noticed that when the PSU fan starts up it sounds very loud and rattly indeed. This needs replacing doesn't it?

If I were to buy a new PSU, it would make more sense to put the new one in my mother's PC so she can use my spare graphics card (her PSU can't handle it currently, and her current GPU isn't really very useful) but I don't know if her PSU would be up to the usage I have in mind for the Optiplex.

Server:

Dell Optiplex 780

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz

2x2 GB DDR3 RAM

2x 450GB HDDs RAID0

1TB HDD

Dell L305P-03 (305W?) PSU

planned usage: 35 mod Forge Minecraft 1.7.10 server as well as NAS for backups. I also have ideas about using it as a web server. (May share it's load with a virtual server on my main PC if I decide to get into web stuff)

My mother's PC:

FSP Group 300W PSU (I've heard it is capable of constant 300W which is apparently a big thing, I can get the model too if you need)

My mother is happy to keep her current setup and use mine when she needs to Chromecast something hers can't handle (Different sites seem to have different qualities. I'm very surprised, but the GPU actually makes a difference to the quality) The only reason I thought of this is because I thought if we are buying a new PSU, why not give it to her and therefore decommission the worst PSU?

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:16 PM

What form factor psu? I assume micro ATX but just being sure.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

Whatever the usual size is, ATX I believe?

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

I suggest: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

I don't think that will be necessary. That'd probably power my main PC. I either be getting a new 300+W PSU from probably EVGA, or a 450/500W for my mother's and put the old 300W from her's in the Optiplex.

I can choose an individual PSU once I know if the old FSP unit is up to the job of high level use in the Optiplex. (It's about 5/6 years old but has never given any trouble)

Or perhaps the PSU currently in the Optiplex is fine and just needs an overhaul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users