Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With My New Pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DopeaLope

DopeaLope

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hey, this is my first computer i've built, I have an Asus M2N-E motherboard, 1 G (2 X 512) Mushkin sticks, AMD athlon 64 processor, Geforce 6800 Xtreme video card by nvidia, SK-523 Kingwin case, Rosewill 450 W power supply, let me know if you need any other specs I forgot.

But heres my problem, everything fits correctly, but when I go to power it on, the system seems like it's only getting power for a split second, and then shuts off. I can see most fans twitch, but then go back to inactive. I've already replaced the power supply, and i'm still getting the same problem, i'm starting to think it's the motherboard. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Any help is very much appreciated.

The motherboard DOES say it's getting power (green light is on), I have called ASUS but they didn't help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

We hear this complaint a lot around here! You are not alone.

The best way to track this down is to 'strip' the motherboard down to the essentials. In other words, disconnect hard drives, floppy drives, optical drives, etc, so that there is only motherboard, power supply, one piece of RAM, CPU and CPU fan. Then try to boot. If you get the same result the next step is to swap the RAM pieces and try again. If problems persists: Remove motherboard from case, put it on a piece of cardboard or something to insulate it from shorting out on anything, and then try to boot again.

The most common reasons for this is connections not correct, and motherboard shorting out on case.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:59 PM

Are you sure the heatsink/fan unit is making proper contact with the processor chip? Did you use thermal paste when you attached it? Also, does the heatsink fan come on?

What I'm driving at is that most modern motherboards have some built in thermal protection to prevent the CPU from being burnt up, and if the CPU cooling is not correct the thermal cutoffs will trigger in a matter of seconds.

Furthermore, at least with Socket A processors (don't know about 939, somebody please comment if this does not apply), it is easy to install the heatsink 180 degrees out of line. If you do that it will not make proper contact with the CPU.

I suggest that you remove the HS/F from the CPU, clean them with a bit of alcohol and a cotton swab, and reinstall, paying close attention to make sure you get good contact.

If that does not do it then the next step would be to test the CPU in another motherboard if possible. That would settle it between the CPU and the motherboard.

One other thing occurred to me. I hesitate to mention it, more of an old timer's mistake than a rookie -- but you did connect the 4-pin 12V power cable to the mobo didn't you? That's what powers the processor on these newfangled motherboards.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

If you reinstall the heatsink make sure you replace the thermal paste!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users