Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hangs Indefinitely during Video Playback

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jager7

Jager7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

So, Alienware sent me a replacement M18 last week with better specs than my old one. I had this issue on the old one, but chalked it up to the other problems it had. This laptop has been in my hands since last Friday. The issue is, video play back of any kind, any browser and any app causes the entire system to hang. It forces me to do a hard reset every time. Everything else works perfectly. Absolutely no issues  with any video game. I thought it was maybe gfx related but nVidia said it wasn't and get with Alienware. Before I went to them, I thought I would try microsoft support techs... After remotely connecting they suggested a fresh install of the os. So now my pc has a completely fresh install of the os and still has the problem. The issue happened before and still remains after updating all drivers. I just finished talking to alienware support. They connected remotely, checked all the drivers, ran several diagnostic tools and said everything looked perfect. The tech suggested the cpu is spiking in temp and they would send someone to replace the heat sink. But the monitoring software he used shows the temps to be around 68C to 75C even when I recreate the issue and it hangs the last reading is normal. So I don't think their solution is correct. I'm attaching the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App  and Administrative Events. In this info, I recreated the issue at 10:50am according to the computers clock. It just doesn't make sense that a brand new computer would have this problem, especially when everything else works just fine. Please someone with knowledge help me. Thanks for your time.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2016 - 02:44 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:00 AM

Hi. . .

2 brand new systems with the same exact problem?

My guess is that there must be an app that you're installing.  What apps have you installed related to video, video playback?

Do you have an Internet Security Suite installed like Norton, McAfee, KIS, etc...?  If so, uninstall it with the removal tool - http://support.eset.com/kb146/?locale=en_US

Could it be your Internet buffering?  My system dies momentarily freeze/lock up at times while playing video.

Just to be clear - anytime that you try and play a video the system hangs requiring a hard shutdown and boot-up? - Correct?

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the attached files that can help us at this time.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 Jager7

Jager7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

It happens even on fresh install of windows. I talked to a Microsoft tech again last night for 3+ hours. They went through everything and came to the conclusion that the issue is being caused by incompatible hardware with the OS. But they couldn't tell me what in particular is incompatible. As for you questions...

It happens in any app that plays videos. 

No security sweet is installed.

I'm on fiber and it's not a buffer issue. The whole laptop freezes. You can't use the mouse or keyboard and a loud annoying sound is played like a broken record.

And yes, it hangs and the only way to get out of the hang is to hard reset.

Thank you for your time and looking through the attached files.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

Hi. . .

As much as I hate to say it -- given the fact that the system is brand new, I would suggest RMA'ing (returning) it for another system. When you get the new system, allow Windows Updates to install, then immediately try a Youtube video before installing anything (apps).

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#5 bobxlz

bobxlz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

Have you checked the Task Manager-Ctrl-Alt-Del and see if Disk is running 100% Mine does and there is no excuse for this.

W95 had a 1GB Hard Drive XP an 80 GBHD Vista 250 & 300 GBHD Upgraded to W 7 Bought a W8 Laptop with 300 GBHD Upgraded a Emach Tower (Gateway) and a Gateway Laptop to Windows 10 That's when the disk started running 98,99 &100%

CPU & Memory are fine. Googled this subject & there are few answers! Some say shut down 

Windows search, prefetch, super fetch & BITS under services. I don't care about Cortana, Skype, Bonjour, Edge and other Windows installed programs and background programs. I have installed a lot of programs that I don't need and have to large of an email file, but there is no excuse for a 250-300 Giga Byte Hard Drive to peg 100% MicroSoft has had 20 years to develop a "state of the art" operating system and Windows 10 is worse than all the others put together. They brag about it being so improved and friendly, but all these programs do is snoop and and run adware. Skype turns itself back on as fast as you can turn it off and Cortana does the same a half dozen times. Running Google Chrome and Facebook together make it worse. Haven't had enough time to search all forums and come up with a fix!

Edited by bobxlz, 23 January 2016 - 10:50 PM.

#6 Jager7

Jager7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for any the suggestions that were made. I figured it out this past week end. First off, windows in place upgrade from previous versions to 10 is just terrible. This was probably the 12th windows 10 install I did, but i had to do somethings different. During installation, I had to skip the internet connection and account set up of the install. Then disable my audio and video card. Then install the chipset. Every time before, windows would start install updates before i could even log in during install. After preventing the updates, I was free to install everything needed for my pc. All that aggrevation over a simple fix. Thanks for trying to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users