Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VGA to HDMI converter problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cool4cats

cool4cats

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

Please can someone help me?! I'm at my wits end trying to set up my computer base unit to my HDMI TV screen to no avail.
I only want the TV screen connected, not a PC monitor too.

My computer only has a VGA connection, so on good advice I bought a VGA to HDMI converter. I followed the instructions carefully and connected all the cables up in the correct places.
I switched on my computer and TV and switched to the HDMI channel, all I get is a blue screen and a 'no signal' message.
Someone suggested I needed to change the resolution on my computer to a 720 setting or 1080 ending, which I did but the blue screen remained.

The TV I'm using was bought from a friend who had it connected to a HDMI graphics card in her computer and all worked fine. I was told the VGA to HDMI converter needed no setup, it was plug and play, but for me it's not the case. Could it be the case that it's not compatible with my TV? 
I'm thinking of getting a HDMI graphics card like my friend did, but didn't want to give up on the converter without a fight first. clear.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

HI,cool4cats,look at MONOPRICE.COM and you will see a adapter that goes from DVI to HDMI which is what i have on the back of my DELL E521 it may work on your PC to.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

This was a problem we had on my wife's last computer, it only had VGA as an external output and she wanted to use it with a digital TV.

Seeking advice locally we were told that it was possible, didn't work very well, and was expensive !  Or at least the bits were. The problem is that VGA is an analogue output while HDMI is digital, so you need some form of analog-digital converter in the signal path. We were told that it could cost about £UK 100 for a maybe solution. We put that towards replacing her computer with one with an HDMI output - which works like a dream.

I think the HDMI card is a much more workable solution to your problem. Mind you, since you have all the bits, and have spent the money, you might as well have another fiddle with it - and a look at the manual or guide which probably came with to see if there is anything you have overlooked.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users