Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Go directly to Microsoft for updates?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

Is there any way to go directly to Microsoft for updates rather than through my sys admin? In Windows 7 they had the easy option, but I don't see any option in Windows 10 for this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hi bobjimmy123 :)

Is your computer on a domain, or a workgroup? Basically, is this a work computer, or your personal computer?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

Normally you go to Settings -> Update and Security -> Check for updates.  If you know the KBnnnnn numbers you can download them directly from Microsoft.  Of course if you're in a work environment, you would likely have to use the procedure set up by your IT department.  That's why Aura asked the question he did.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for you replies! Yes this computer is on a domain. I was just curious if this option is "hidden" somewhere rather than in plain view like Windows 7.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

If the computer have been configured to download Windows Update from your WSUS or SCCM server, then you should leave it be. Unless you are the person in charge (Sysadmin for instance), you normally aren't allowed to find ways to bypass the rules, restrictions and policies put in place on a system by your organization. Here, we use SCCM to deploy our Windows Updates, and we block the access to the Windows Updates servers from Microsoft directly so employees cannot get around it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for your response. I should probably have mentioned that I am in the IT department for this company and I do have administrator privileges for these computers, so while I'm not a sys admin I do still have permission to look for updates from a source other than what the sys admin has provided. I apologize for not mentioning that earlier! I think I actually may have found the solution. When I run the check for updates, as its checking it gives an option to check online, so do you know if this is correct?

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:03 PM

I'd think so, although I can't be sure since I have no familiarity with your system.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for your response. I should probably have mentioned that I am in the IT department for this company and I do have administrator privileges for these computers, so while I'm not a sys admin I do still have permission to look for updates from a source other than what the sys admin has provided. I apologize for not mentioning that earlier! I think I actually may have found the solution. When I run the check for updates, as its checking it gives an option to check online, so do you know if this is correct?

This is the option you have to use to check for update directly from Windows Updates servers, yes. However, is that the standard the Sysadmin or the person in charge of the infrastructure decided? The problem here isn't what you can and can't do on a technical point of view, it's what you are or aren't allowed to do considering the current policies put in place by the person in charge.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users