Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Line spacing in word 2007

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Saytheword

Saytheword

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:29 AM

No matter how many times I tell word 'single spacing' whenever I hit 'enter' it double spaces to the next line. The only way I can get it to single space is to continue typing on the first line until it wraps around, then I delete the beginning of the next line and continue. I don't have the CD so I can't delete and re-load word. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

And what you're describing is perfectly normal behavior, because it's got nothing to do with line spacing at all.

In most word processors you do not hit Enter to go to the next line, but to go to the next paragraph.  As you've already observed Word will take care of single spacing the actual lines you are creating as you type them by wrapping when necessary and keeping single spacing,

If you want to make Word behave as though you're using a typewriter then you need to go into the Line and Paragraph spacing and either set the spacing after a paragraph to 0 pt and/or check the box that sets the "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style" property.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

See if this helps

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/25206/customize-the-default-line-spacing-in-word-2007-2010/

I just double checked that article but I didn't see where it addresses when you press Enter

In some other articles I looked up, it seems like if you press shift+enter it might solve your problem

--- If you can get used to doing that, it's probably better than what you are doing now.

--- I would think you could create a template to do what you want automatically but do a search for that  

Edited by cmptrgy, 21 January 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#4 Saytheword

Saytheword
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Thanks to britechguy the problem was solved beautifully! I would never have figured it out myself...many thanks

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

Thanks Saytheword and of course britechguy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users