Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled juice on my laptop charger and now it won't work..please help. :(

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 emily_rose

emily_rose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:49 AM

Hi. So last night i was playing a game and accidently spilled the juice i was drinking. The thing is, i spilled on the ground where the power bar was got all over the power bar and on the laptop charger. Seconds later the whole thing shut off. I immediately unplugged it all and put it in a box of rice over ight, both the laptop and the charger. I don't think any got on the actual laptop but it isn't turning on at all. When i plug in the charger i see a very faint green light but that's it. It won't work at all. Am i screwed?! It's back in the box of rice right now. It's a macbook. So is the computer toast, is the charger just needing to be replaced or is the battery dead?! So upset right now... Had some really important things on there. Any hope of getting it on ever again?

Thanks alot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:52 AM

Does the laptop run on battery? The power supply/charger by the sound if it is partially blown.

#3 emily_rose

emily_rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Well i had it plugged into the charger..for some reason even before this the laptop would not run on it's own without the charger being plugged in. If you unplugged it, the laptop would shut down. But it would work fine with the charger plugged in.

Do you think i just need to replace the charger?

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

Well i had it plugged into the charger..for some reason even before this the laptop would not run on it's own without the charger being plugged in. If you unplugged it, the laptop would shut down. But it would work fine with the charger plugged in.
Do you think i just need to replace the charger?

That is a dead battery. It sounds like the charger is fine.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:30 PM

I go with Technonymous, it sounds like you have damaged the charger and since these are essentially non-repairable you need to replace it.

Yes the battery is dead, but you knew that. And if you are happy working permanently connected to the mains electricity with the charger then carry on. A friend of mine recently retired his old laptop which came from a local company that ceased trading about 10 years ago. It had been issued to his daughter as an employee and she got to keep it when they shut down. The laptop was still working, more or less, at the age of 11 but all the battery was good for was as a door stop !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 emily_rose

emily_rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:06 PM

Thank you everyone! I will be getting a new charger for it this weekend and possibly a new battery too. Hopefully it works out okay. 

#7 emily_rose

emily_rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

Hi,

So I went and bought a new charger for it. And no go..still won't turn on. It does the exact same thing as the other charger where the light just barley lights up green, and there is absolutely no power to the laptop at all.

Any other suggestions? :/ 

Thank you. 

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:13 AM

Emily,

Sorry that you had to buy a new charger to find out it's not the problem. Unfortunately for you this issue has gotten worse and more complicated. At this point a tech needs to physically look at it. You may have shorted out the motherboard or power section on the motherboard near the power port. If the underside of the laptop was wet it's possible fluid got wicked or drawn up inside the underbelly of the laptop case and shorted out the system. Overall it's bad news and the cost to repair sometimes exceeds the cost of a new laptop. When fluid gets dumped into a laptop there is a 50/50 chance of survival. Unless you have a expensive military grade Toughbook that is built like a submarine and you can literally spray it down with a garden hose.

#9 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Try taking the battery out of the laptop, then plug in just the new charger.  If it still does the same thing, then chances are, as mentioned, the motherboard is fried.

#10 emily_rose

emily_rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

Try taking the battery out of the laptop, then plug in just the new charger.  If it still does the same thing, then chances are, as mentioned, the motherboard is fried.

Tried that..no go unfortunately. :( 

Emily,

Sorry that you had to buy a new charger to find out it's not the problem. Unfortunately for you this issue has gotten worse and more complicated. At this point a tech needs to physically look at it. You may have shorted out the motherboard or power section on the motherboard near the power port. If the underside of the laptop was wet it's possible fluid got wicked or drawn up inside the underbelly of the laptop case and shorted out the system. Overall it's bad news and the cost to repair sometimes exceeds the cost of a new laptop. When fluid gets dumped into a laptop there is a 50/50 chance of survival. Unless you have a expensive military grade Toughbook that is built like a submarine and you can literally spray it down with a garden hose.

Ah, kind of figured so. Well I'll have to take it in this weekend when I have time and see if there's anything that can be done. 

One more question..I did have some important documents and files on there...is there anyway to do data recovery when the laptop won't even attempt to turn on or would it have to be fixed to even be able to get data off there? 

Sigh. Maybe this is a sign for me to go back to school and take the courses I've been wanting to do so I can fix my own computers, lol. 

Thanks a bunch everyone. 

#11 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

If the hard drive was not damaged, then you can hook it up to another computer and copy the files off.  If the laptop isn't too old, chances are it is a SATA hard drive.  You can purchase an external USB enclosure (a small box that you insert your hard drive in) and then it can be hooked up to the USB port of another computer and your files copied off it.

The USB enclosures are cheap.  Anywhere from $6 to $7 and up.

If the hard drive is fine, and you end up getting a new laptop because that one is toast, you'd then have an external disk you could use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users