Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to disable windows 8 autorun

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Caramello222

Caramello222

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:57 PM

I'm having a hard time finding information on how to disable autorun in Windows 8. I tried using the Microsoft Support website but when I search the topic I keep ending up here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/967715. This information is all for Windows 7 and before. I also tried to use the fix it tool on that page because I was informed in the past by a Microsoft Community member that when searching for Windows 8/8.1 information sometimes the results will be Windows 7 because that feature/component in the next version. That wasn't true in this case, when I tried to install the disable autorun fix it tool it notified me that is wasn't for my version. I tried to ask Microsoft Community but I'm having trouble logging into that because I just did a thorough reset and changed my login name and password, I even went through the process of proving I'm the owner of the account and did the call my phone with the code and reset my password again and showed the reset was successful, but when I entered in that same info to access the community I couldn't get in. I checked the tutorials here for a 'how to' but after 10pages of autorun pertaining to tools like Hijack This I gave and went to youtube. There I found how to tweek the registry but I was for windows 7 and the key path wasn't the same as mine so I didn't do it but I did do an export backup of the registry to my desktop. Another video did show windows 8 disable autorun for all drives by using gpedit.msc. Unfortunately I entered gpedit.msc in 'run' I got a pop-up "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I also tried finding it with the search charm and action center control panel and had no luck finding it there. So what do I do now, is there a way to download gpedit.msc from Microsoft since it's a snapin tool? Or can someone inform me on how to tweek the Windows 8 registry to disable autorun. The reason why I want to disable autorun is because I've read it's a security risk due to autorun.inf malware and that it makes it difficult for anti-virus or anti-malware scanners to detect and remove because it's always running every time the computer is started. To whom replies, thank for your time and brain.    

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:05 AM

Couple of ways.

1. Open control panel by typing control into search. Then change view to large icons. Click on autoplay. In there you can customize everything. If you want nothing to run choose 'take no action'.

2. Not sure if this works for 8 or not, but you could also try typing in autoplay.

#3 Caramello222

Caramello222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

I've already done that for Autoplay. I'm looking to disable Autorun for all drives, as a sercurity measure against autorun malware.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

Below is a website for all the methods to turn it off. Inside control panel autoplay there is a place for other hardware at the bottom. So if you're attaching a device that is still auto playing, you might need to go back into autoplay and adjust it's settings for it once it is mounted. If you mount it again it should not autoplay again. I believe windows will remember the device by it's UUID or serial numbers. However, the Regedit method (step3) should disable everything. I would suggest leaving the Control panel settings blank and doing the regedit method. So that there is no override or conflict of settings.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-disable-autoplay-windows

#5 Caramello222

Caramello222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:27 PM

Thank you very much for the information. I suspected malware and now I know for sure. When I followed that registry path in the link you gave me, NoDriveTypeAutorun is missing. When I couldn't find it before I thought nothing of it because I was following instructions for windows 7. But after following the instructions you provided and seeing that spot blank, I downloaded some threat scans and Rogue Killer found a PUP in program data and a PUM in Registry. It couldn't replace the PUM but it deleted the PUP. Unfortunately, Rogue Killer was not successful but I downloaded Farbar to scan the registry and files for what it detected. What Rogue Killer found was a crumb compared to all the registry keys that the malware is sitting in. So thank you very much for your assistants, I'm going to create a new post in the malware assistants forum for help removing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users