Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

audible beeps while computer in sleep mode somebody logged in

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

It looks like my computer was logged on by someone during that time of audible beeps.  I have only had Win10 a few days.  I am using a hard wired modem.  Event id 4624.  It shows login, but it was NOT me.  I had the power cord removed when it was logged on, but not my ethernet cord.  I need to remove the ethernet cord every night too?  I am using Win10 firewall.

I logged in at 10:16am.  Somebody logged in at 8:59am.  (nobody was here but me)

8:59 am - It has a Logon, Special Logon, User Account Management, Logon, Special Logon, Security Group Management, Logon, Special Logon, Security Group Management, then two more times the Security Group Management had a listing.  Then it showed nothing. This was over the course of one minute. Then I logged on at 10:16 am.  It showed that.  During that time it beeped, the computer was asleep.  There were about 5 beeps, and then it didn't beep again.  Very strange.  I've never had a computer to beep when it was asleep like that. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

The links below will give you info on shutting down the computer rather than using sleep mode.

I don't think this is a malware issue.

Can your employer access this computer?

Was this computer ever on a private/ business network?

How to quickly shut down Windows 10 - CNET

4 Ways to Restart and Shut down on Windows 10

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the links, I will look at it.  No there is no employer.  This computer is only a few days old.  The computer has never been used in a business of any kind.  It is strictly for home use. 

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:12 AM

I suggest you post in the Windows 10 forum for more info on your concern.

In addition...most new computers come with some unwanted programs and adware. the programs below will help in finding

and removing it if you haven't already done so.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected.
  • Click the Remove Selected button.
  • MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR  REVIEW.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

Buddy, I posted there yesterday morning.  Only one person replied.  They said I should ask the question on this forum.  I don't have adware or unwanted programs, as I bought directly from the manufacturer.  I like CCleaner and Malwarebytes, I've used them for years.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  I am using the Home version of Win10. 

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

Okay...I've asked for someone else to take a look. Someone much more familiar with 10 and its user accounts.

While you wait...run AdwCleaner...manufacturers are the ones who profit from the adware placed on most new computers.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Hi kelkay :)

My name is Aura, buddy asked me to take a look at your issue. Is it possible for you to give me a screenshot, or copy/paste the details of the Event Viewer entry where you see the Remote Connection being established?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

Would that adware cleaner remove my Netcraft toolbar, and PhotoScape program? 

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

AdwCleaner shouldn't remove Netcraft, nor PhotoScape, since they are legitimate programs. If you want, you can run AdwCleaner in Scan Mode only first to see if any of their files are being detected. If they are, we'll consider them FP and forward them to xplode so he can remove them from the detection list.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Aura, I can't upload the pic here.  But I do have it on the Win10 forum, where I originally posted this question.

AdwCleaner shouldn't remove Netcraft, nor PhotoScape, since they are legitimate programs. If you want, you can run AdwCleaner in Scan Mode only first to see if any of their files are being detected. If they are, we'll consider them FP and forward them to xplode so he can remove them from the detection list.

THANK YOU!  I had to tell my anti-virus company the hit on PhotoScape was a false positive.  It finally doesn't do anything with it.  Malwarebytes still sees a problem with it.  I believe I notified them, but they still show a problem.  I just make it ignore once, every time I use that program.  I've had PhotoScape for a few years.  I will run that Adware program once my backup is through.  Thanks.

Edited by kelkay, 19 January 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

Alright in that case, can you go in your Event Viewer, in the Security log (where the screenshot you took is from), then in the right-pane, you'll have the option to Save all events. Save the file somewhere easily accessible, then .zip it, and upload it on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive. Once done, please give me the download URL for it. I'll load your Event Viewer file on my system to get more details about the entries.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

post-226609-0-18472500-1453149691_thumb.

Aura that is the image posted in the other topic...hopefully it will enlarge here when clicked on.

EDIT: it doesn't enlarge for me. Link to orginal...#1

If I may butt back in...regarding photoscape...the two download locations would attempt to install adware. If

the program was downloaded recently, that could be the reason for the security programs wanting to remove it or

what is bundled with it.

post-226609-0-18472500-1453149691.jpg

Edited by buddy215, 19 January 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#13 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

While fooling with my Macrium Reflect backup, I see now that may be what was beeping at me at 9am.  I am going to have to change the time of the backup.  It was scheduled for 9am.  It did a differential backup, but has yet to run a full backup.  I am running the full backup now.  I do not keep my external hard drive plugged in, in case of infection on the computer.  Maybe this was it, but I don't see how it would show a log on during that minute, unless it was me.  Sometimes this stuff is just over my head for sure.   Thank you Buddy for that pic.  After the backup has completed, I will run that adware program, and do the other things requested.

#14 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

I ran AdwCleaner.  It didn't pop up anything.  It stayed there and said waiting for me to uncheck anything you want to keep.  Nothing was listed.  There was an N in the first box on the far left.  I don't know if that stood for None or what.  I waited, and then closed the program.  I did not see a way to update the program.  So it looks like I'm fine as far as adware.

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

So...mystery is solved....Good

AdwCleaner finding nothing is a good thing. But why not run a scan using JRT? Only takes a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users