Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer An't Multi-Task in Any Way

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ZeHolyQofPower

ZeHolyQofPower

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

Let me write the lengthy story of what I've done to get this computer working yet far.
It's not necessary you read it, it's just something I'd like to briefly mention and get off my chest.

The last week of summer I ordered almost an entirely new computer. everything except the newer hard drive I kept.
After upgrading, everything seemed to work fine so I decided to finally upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 10.
I made the mistake of not doing a clean install and the problems started.
First, the activation key that was automatically given to the computer was invalid. I had to let a windows tech support give me two more codes before one would work.
Second, the computer started experiencing random complete lock ups that became more and more frequent until it would crash within half an hour of sitting idle.
So I decided to completely wipe and reinstall Windows 7 to make sure all the hardware was fine before I do anything else new.
After the step back, I still had the exact same lock ups.
My next step was to come to this site and post a question, that after going through a couple issues that didn't fix the original problem the admin helping determined: "I don't know what to do, this is beyond me."
I then went to the IT technician at my Dad's plant and he gave me a bootable flash drive with a program that tests your RAM, CPU cores, and data transfer rate to see how much they can handle.
The tests immediately failed and concluded that my RAM was all working perfectly and that 5 of the 8 CPU cores were faulty and didn't function.
I shipped the processor and motherboard back to AMD with an email showing them the results and asking for a new rebuild. They sent a newly built one back as fast as they could.
The test passed it as fully functional.
Yet it was still failing completely just as much as before after booting up windows.
I sent back the entire tower and setup to AMD and said: make it all work or I'd like a refund to spend at Intel.
After looking at it for a long time, their tech team determined the recommended motherboard and CPU build, which I had, was unstable and incompatible.
They had had so few people buy this set up and absolutely 0 feedback they didn't know, so they sent back the setup working with the next gen of motherboard for no upgrade cost.
I then took to a lot of slow testing and experimenting on windows 7 still, as it still had seemingly random lock ups, simply farther apart.
I then did a clean reinstall of windows 10 to see if this would fix any problems and it didn't.
I thought. I thought and tested for a long time, reading through other forums and crash reports simply looking for something I missed before I give in to another forum.
The weakest point of the computer is the data transfer rate to the hard drive, if this was overloaded or a chip on the motherboard was weak, perhaps this is causing the problem.
After doing some finagling of setting backups to clouds and adjusting the swap file I still had no luck, so I bought a second hard drive that was solid state and set my swap file to there.
It still didn't fix the problem.

All this takes me to the problem and data I can't solve now.

I'm having complete lock ups without any possible interaction and I've tried a lot of different things to try and fix it.
Here is my Speccy screenshot:

After a long time of testing, I found they always happen when I do any two or more things.
I've tested this with a large game, medium game, a small flash game, having skype open, loading webpages, and loading/playing YouTube videos.
Any combination of two or more of these WILL cause a complete lock up. Yes, I have tested most of these combinations up to two or three with all varying in approximate time it takes to crash.

But, as if this wasn't baffling to me enough, it can run a single thing for as long as you want without any error of any sort.

example:
Most intensive game I have, ran at highest settings and max speed went for 6+ hours without any error of any sort.
Same game with YouTube video in background, can run 20-maybe 30 minuets tops before lock up.

I've been through a lot and I've got no clue, here ya go, I've got infinite patience.

Edited by ZeHolyQofPower, 18 January 2016 - 08:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:12 AM

As a test , i would disconnect all drives , and connect the SSD and install windows 7 on that.

Then see if any issues arise , if so try one Memory stick at a time and see if that helps.

If all goes well after all tests , then add other drives one at a time and test again , if any of them have an issue then look into that.

If you do try windows 10 again and you eventually have had no issues running with Win 7 , make a Backup of Win 7 first , in case Win 10 gives probs.

If still problems arise after these efforts , im sure other members will assist and i hope persist  in helping you to solve this problem.

#3 ZeHolyQofPower

ZeHolyQofPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:11 PM

Sometimes when one foot moves forward, the other slips out from under you and you're back on the ground again.

I really liked your idea of taking to completely minimalize all hardware and programs to slowly go through and look for a flag, but it still didn't work.

I have a busy schedule, and I spend more time racking my brain instead of actually being able to do anything with my computer; which is why I collect so much information to go over later on brakes in my schedule.

I put Windows 7 on the solid state and only installed some very minimalistic things. Only basic drivers, no background programs that I could help, and kept everything small. I could finally Multi-task, except it would lock just as much whether I was doing one thing or multiple things, and in a smaller time frame. I decided to go all the way back to the basic hardware tests I tried originally and it didn't go well at all.

I'm now baffled again. I got the computer and it passed all hardware tests day one perfectly fine. Today after trying the exact same tests the results were:

CPU Cores 0,1 working fine; Cores 3,7 completely unresponsive; Cores 2,4,5,6 not working.

My next thought was that other parts of the computer are pushing these things way too hard and forcing them to fail, so I'll try and slow the interactions down. You can overclock a computer, why not throttle it?

Well it's possible, but lead to wired results. I played a game of "will it boot?" Setting it's abilities too low will cause it not to behave properly upon boot up causing it to sometimes not and sometimes to work.

Albeit only for a short time before lock up anyway.

To make this long post short, the CPU isn't working anymore. Why? I have no clue.

Me and my family will be moving soon, and I've gone so long without a working computer I almost don't need one in my life anymore.

I've decided to send back the parts and tell AMD what happened.

Will I get a refund after... 6+ months? Still no clue.

I'm going to take a break from computers. All computers... for a while, for I'll need one eventually.

But for now, thank you for your help and idea, you'll be added to another line of the story.

My last question if you can answer it is: What can cause a CPU or other hardware to decay or stop functioning over a short period of use?

#4 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:44 PM

Hi zholyqofpower

Your cpu nay be failing by various reasons anything can cause it to fail like a faulty ram may burn the motherboard and then damage the cpu as well try using a new cpu in the same motherboard with just a new HDD or sdd gpu and 1 ram stick then turn on the computer and try it out and see how well it goes. One more thing, set up a secondary monitor with a program that monitors and records all readings like cpu usage or cpu temp or hdd usage ok?

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#5 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:09 AM

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 

According to the product page, the motherboard Support for Microsoft® Windows 8.1/8/7

#6 ZeHolyQofPower

ZeHolyQofPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:16 AM

"I've already tried that" summarizes almost any suggestion at this point.

Part of the Mem test program is it's RAM testing. Before it even tests the CPUs it also has a test called the Hammer Test. All it does is rails on the RAM by individual rows. It fills a row with 1s goes through and checks for errors, fills the row with 0s and checks for errors. You're supposed to do it for 4 passes for every row, but I don't have the 36+ish hours it takes to do a full test so I only do one pass and the RAM returns no errors.

New motherboard? See first line of this response. AMD uped the gen of motherboard after finding the build we sent them back was unstable.

New CPU, same motherboard? Already tried that. I did have AMD rebuild a new motherboard and CPU of the same model after the first one came faulty but before they found it was just entirely unstable.

Test with individual chips? Yup, done that. I did leave it out of the summarized story of what I've been through, but at one point I was testing the individual chips on the motherboard to see if only one part was faulty so I didn't have to send the whole thing back but it turned out to be the whole CPU, not a smaller chip.

Second monitor? The title of this post is about multi-tasking. Whenever I'm not using the other monitor, I'm watching either the CPU usage or the hard drive usage. Most of the times I was intentionally getting a crash, I was recording times, looking through error messages, dump files, and watching what spiked or was being used when. Discovering today that the CPU was faulty explains a lot being it normally ran very minimalistic and was never struggling.

Operating System? The first guy kind of missed it and I know I didn't point it out well, but I was currently on Windows 10 at the time I first posted. I had wiped and reinstalled both 7 and 10 so many times I could do it in my sleep. I went to 10 after 7 to see if it would show consistency in my times and crashes, and it was exactly the same either operating system.

#7 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:09 AM

Bios virus?

#8 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:15 AM

One thing is that a bios virus could spread through Bluetooth WiFi speakers or basically anything that can do IO like a speaker can send ultrasonic sound to a microphone in form of 1010010101 and then the microphone receives it that's where the virus starts to take effect it can even spread through HDD (Duh)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users