Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell headaches lol

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dude905

dude905

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

Hi everyone... I'm new here :) ... I have never own a Dell PC before and I'm kind of lost with it. I just bought a refurbished one. I got this one below. I try hooking this unit with the VGA port since the DVI on it isn't your normal types which is a surprise to me. Any way I try using the VGA port it doesn't start up my monitor, everything is being lit up with the power on the PC, but just not the monitor. My question is does Dell require special types monitors? Also, when I looked at the graphic card it wasn't the normal size card, its much smaller. Can someone explain what gives with these Dells? Thank you

Dell_Opti_Plex_990.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

hello, and Welcome to BleepingComputer!!!

Ok, what you have is the slim form factor OEM unit. Kind of popular, but with ancillary effects. It does feature a sweet I3 cpu..and an OEM OS recovery partition and dedicated graphics co-processor to let your CPU reach its full potential, nice deal....

First things first, you should have a motherboard (onboard) vga out, and then the 6350 cards weird DVI output. it looks like you will need a cheap dvi-i to vga adapter..to use the standard VGA cable from the 6350 into your monitor...you can get one from any best buy, sears or staples or other office supply store, relatively cheap..

here is the link for the AMD hd6350 support:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=59FMC

use this link to download the drivers for the 6350. installing the drivers is nice and easy, double click the EXE and away you go...

ok, ..  if this were my PC, i would use the output from the video card, and access BIOS and load defaults, then save the BIOS and then boot into safe mode...lets see....how to do that with a DELL....to get into BIOS it is immediate repeated tapping of the ESC key after you power up  then use the "load defaults" feature,. save , exit and then the unit will proceed with the boot, while it does that, you want to repeatedly tap the F8 key to get the boot options------ safe mode...then from safe mode go to device manager from control panel and look for display adapter...if it looks ok with no errors, then you should be able to to restart into your regular windows 7 OS and away you go...

if the device manager shows any errors, report them back here to your topic...

sometimes what happens is windows 7 installs its own drivers by default and this conflicts with the cards specific drivers, but that is mostly with newer model cards , you are lucky that the 6350 is in a mature state of development with that variable anyway...

Edited by synergy513, 18 January 2016 - 06:11 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 dude905

dude905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hi... Thanks for responding ... First off I'm not able to load or start it up since the VGA port doesn't work on the motherboard, or at least it wouldn't start up my older ViewSonic monitor. After doing some searching on the internet I found out the AMD graphic card only has this stupid DMS-59 port which I thought it was DVI but it isn't, so I can't use that with my monitor DVI port. So now I'm in the process and I hope I'm able to install this video card, maybe one can tell me so that it should work? Thanks

MSI Radeon HD 5450 DirectX 11 R5450-MD1GD3H/LP 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

ok, i thought it looked like a weird dvi port, with loads of extra pins....

if your budget is good there is some gtx 750 sff models available for around $100 but those are usually dual slot,

you should at least be able to get into BIOS when you power up with the motherboard vga hooked up...

here is the newegg link to your proposed 5450...i don't see any reason why it shouldn't install graciously..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557

or the dms59 to vga/dvi cables are available, although not readily

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX2C30457&cm_re=dms_59_to_vga-_-12-196-352-_-Product

http://www.walmart.com/ip/C2G-One-LFH-59-DMS-59-Male-to-One-DVI-I-Female-and-One-HD15-VGA-Female-Cable-9-Universal/21281778?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=21281778&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=d311cad9-72cb-40d6-8c7b-345b31f92a5b&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=13078086&parent_anchor_item_id=13078086&guid=569b8e13-faab-4317-bfc4-3eb59624f4a2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Edited by synergy513, 18 January 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#5 dude905

dude905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

Hi... Thanks again for those links problem is I'm in Canada, so those sites can't help. No, I can't get to the bios, the vga port doesn't even start up my monitor, hell do I know why not. So you believe that card I mention should work since this is a small form factor PC. I'm thinking now since this Dell PS is kinda weak I'm wondering what my options are. Here in Canada I can't get any parts to upgrade this unit. Now I know why this PC was so cheap ( I paid $240.00 Canadian about $165US )

Edited by dude905, 18 January 2016 - 07:02 PM.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

oh, ok...newegg has a canada link-up. i think pcpartpicker does too, let me check....

ok, here is one adapter cable i saw, i am sure there are others...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812115003

yes, those sff PCs do have some trade-offs, but there are work-arounds and advantages...a special power supply form factor and specially sized video cards are the first to come to mind, but i am not sure if those dell units use proprietary motherboard main connectors or not...some do, some don't...i think you even may be able to add another hard drive or two...

what you really have as an advantage is your OS recovery partition, those have placated many,, many users angst in times of trouble..including mine.

so. considering your unit is sporting a fine i3 and a PCIe slot for your video , and your OS ,,the deal isn't bad at all...at least not the way i see it.

if it were me, i would check to see if i could transfer the whole  of the parts inside to a micro-atx form factor case, like this one that i used for a build a few years ago, it kept everything nice and cool and was a sweet deal for spartan bucks...and you can use a standard atx power supply if you really wanted to jazz up the unit with a gtx 960 or something

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-rangerm

but alas, this isn't getting your display working...

ok. i have seen this quite a few times, and it can solve the issue, the simple BIOS reset jumper bridge located on your motherboard... i will look for the link ....ok, it is all PDF so no link for me to use, so another way is to remove the cmos battery for a while, put it back in and power up, if the BIOS asks for the date/time or reads checksum blah blah, then it reset...and all should be on a clean slate...uninstall the 6350 before you do this though,

Edited by synergy513, 18 January 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#7 dude905

dude905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

When I first saw this Dell unit with the i3 3.30 GHz processor and windows 7 pro 64bit at that price, I had to get it. I figure what ever issues it might have I will find ways to get it going lol..... I did get the VGA port working. All I did was removed the AMD card and after that it works, so I'm happy there. And from dell forum site they say the MSI card above should also work. So now I'm crossing my finger and hoping it will once I get it. Thanks for pcpartpicker info site I never heard of them, And big thanks for all your help :thumbup2:

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

Excellent!!

Yes, the 5450 is a nice addition that enables good functionality like multiple displays and hdmi out etc.   the best thing is that they stay quiet and cool with minimal power requirements ....and for a small form factor PC, that is a definite plus. 

Edited by synergy513, 19 January 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#9 dude905

dude905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

The HDMI is all I care for I'm going to be putting this unit for the bedroom TV.  It wouldn't be used much

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

I would expect that Dell to have a DisplayPort on the motherboard, which you can connect to HDMI with a fairly cheap adaptor or adaptor cable - probably about half the price of a HD5450 card. Something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-DisplayPort-Plug-to-HDMI-Male-Plug-Display-Monitor-TV-Cable-007546-/381442039096?hash=item58cfb79d38:g:yvoAAOSwqu9U4Fgz

or this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DP-Displayport-Male-to-HDMI-Female-Cable-Converter-Adapter-for-PC-HP-DELL-UK-/371325804009?hash=item5674be1de9:g:~5EAAOSwrklVUcef

Edited by rqt, 19 January 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#11 dude905

dude905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

You're right it does have that on the motherboard, at first I thought it was a hdmi port but its not . I'm curious with your suggestion how good would those adapters be with high def? I'm guessing it all matter with the motherboard internal graphic and specs, yes?

Edited by dude905, 19 January 2016 - 06:42 PM.

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:35 AM

The DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor I have works perfectly well at 1920 x 1080 - you cannot tell that you are using an adaptor - a possible disadvantage to them compared to a graphics card with HDMI is that you won't get sound to the TV HDMI input if you're using the adaptor (as you also would not if using a DVI or VGA output). If you are using separate speakers or wiring the sound separately then this won't be a problem. In my experience video card sound via HDMI to TV is not always satisfactory - if not in constant use (like watching a video)the sound was "going to sleep" & you would miss the first part of the next sound while waiting for it to "wake up" - although I'm not sure which end was causing the problem - so I ended up with a separate audio connection anyway.

Edited by rqt, 20 January 2016 - 03:47 AM.

#13 dude905

dude905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

This is good to know, thanks. I'm planning to sell the AMD card if I can and if I get $30 Canadian I will be glad. As for the MSI card yeah I could use sound but I'm not to concern as to how well its going to sound since it will be used in the bedroom... Thanks guys for your input much appreciated

#14 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:40 AM

Doesn't anybody notice on the photo that its not dvi!!!!! Its a display port (duh)

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#15 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

That "DVI" port on that AMD video card is actually a DMS-59 port and requires a "pigtail" adapter.  You can get a DMS-59 that'll split out to two VGA or two normal DVI connections.  I would think the PC would have come with one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users