Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't go past the 'Starting Windows' screen.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Akruom

Akruom

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

As per the title, my Windows 7 won't go past the 'Starting Windows' screen. It's just a black screen, no matter how long I leave it. However, I can still boot in safe mode, and I can boot in my old Ubuntu installation just as well.

The problem appeared right away after the computer failed to go in hibernation after closing the lid - it hung up instead with a black screen. System restore brought no result, nor did Windows automatic repair.

I'm pretty sure I can rule something as simple as Windows booting fine but me not seeing it because some graphic driver problem make it so the screen isn't displaying anything. The keyboard lights indicating whether or not the numerical pad or shift lock are on/off don't change when pressing the relevant keys.

Here's my speccy link, if it helps: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0FxBnWImgJqZVGEOHoJwaLA
It was done in safe mode as this is the only thing I have access to.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like a damaged video driver, IMO.  You might try the following procedures to uninstall the current graphics driver.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/117840-uninstall-remove-software-safe-mode.html

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:48 PM

+1....You can also try a system restore from Safe Mode.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Akruom

Akruom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the help, and I've made some progress, in a sense.

First a step back: I have two graphic cards, an integrated one and a dedicated one, and when the problem occured I was running on the integrated one.
First I uninstalled the drivers of the dedicated graphic cards, and it had no effect. However, reinstalling the drivers of the integrated graphic card did change things. Now I can get past the 'Starting Windows' screen and reach the 'Welcome' screen. There, the screen gamma goes darker as if the laptop goes in battery saving mode, and after 30 seconds I get the blue screen 'an error occured and Windows needs to shut down' or something like that, after which the laptop restarts (I also had an instance where the computer managed to reach the desktop, but the blue screen appeared 30 seconds in).

The next thing I'd like to do would be a clean install of the integrated graphic card's driver, since when I reinstalled them I merely overwrote the old ones instead. I had no problem uninstalling the dedicated graphic card's driver through uninstalling AMD Catalyst Control Center (after activating Windows Installer), but I don't think I have an equivalent for the integrated graphic card. I suspect it's in Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Graphic Cards, then select the correct one and deactivate/uninstall it, but I'm not sure.

And finally, system restore from Safe Mode didn't solve the problem.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Is this a laptop?

If so...go to Device Manager, scroll down to the graphics card, uninstall it.

Reboot, the onboard will use the default Windows graphics driver...or automatically install the correct driver.  If the graphics driver for the onboard is not automatically installed, then go to the system manufacturer's website, download the correct graphics driver for your system...and install it.

When anyone suggests uninstalling a driver or a component, it should be done via Device Manager.

Louis

#6 Akruom

Akruom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

More progress, but still not quite there.

I've uninstalled the drivers of both graphic cards, allowing me to boot Windows in normal mode. I had to download drivers from the manufacturers, as Windows didn't do it itself. After reinstalling the drivers of the integrated graphic everything was still fine, however everytime I try to reinstall the drivers of the dedicated graphic card the problem reappears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users