Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Update Restart Loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Miotkem

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

I have tried searching for this topic a lot and nothing else I have found seems to work, so I am starting my own thread for your help.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 10 yesterday (1/17/2016). It downloaded roughly 5.76 GB into a hidden folder:

Then it prompted me to restart my computer, so I did. Once restarted, nothing changed.

So I went into Windows Update, and it just tells me:

"Restart your computer to install important updates" and it has a "Restart now" button. I've restarted roughly 40 times or so in the last 2 days after trying various fixes, and it doesn't make a difference.

I checked the update history, and there are a whole bunch of Pending and Successful updates with a "Date Installed" date of 1/15/2016. Nothing more recent either.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas.

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2016 - 08:10 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

Go here and download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 .  Run it, tell it what you want, and it will download it in a form you can use to install Windows 10 from either a DVD or flash drive image.  Be SURE to make sure your computer will be compatible with all the drivers you'll need by checking with your computer's manufacturer.  Also it's very advisable to make a full system backup to an external hard drive before proceeding.  MS is very assuring about giving you the ability to recover from any problems, but the woods are full of sad stories from folks who ran into unrecoverable problems.  These are in the minority, but you never can tell when Murphy is going to get you!  So be smart and make that backup.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Miotkem

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:19 PM

This worked well, thank you for the suggestion. Upgrade went smoothly and Windows 10 is also having no problems updating now either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users