Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP bootloader on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shant1010

Shant1010

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

Here's my problem that I have no idea how to fix:
I was trying to install windows XP in a dual boot with Windows 10, so I created a 40 gb partition and tried to install Windows XP onto it. When I booted up the Windows XP install disk it couldn't find the partition I created because the partition didn't have the proper ntfs header that would have given the drive a Letter (like how the C:// drive is). I then tried to boot back into Windows 10 to use disk manager to format it, but since i inserted the Windows XP disk, Windows XP already overloaded Windows 10's bootloader. So basically i could boot anything. I tried to format the partition with gpart, didn't work... Kept formatting ntfs but without the letter. Tried using Ubuntu, kept giving me errors... I still can't boot into Windows 10 because windows XP overloaded the Windows 10 bootloader. And I can't install XP (on the separate partition ) because it isn't mounted with a letter. The only way that I found to fix this is to find a way to install XP (<--- that's the part I can't do ) then to use a special software on XP that will let me have a multi-boot system, and will fix the Windows 10 bootloader. I know this was really long, any info would help. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

I'd install Windows 10 in that partition you created for XP.  That will fix it with a bootable Windows 10 in this partition.  Then download & run EasyBCD from Neosmart to get access to your original partition.  After that I'm not sure how you will get XP working because if you try to install it, it's going to cause problems again.  For dual boot you're supposed to install the oldest version first, then the newer version.  I've seen a few workarounds in the past but have avoided them because they're complicated and look risky to me.  Now if you have the Pro version of Windows 10, you can use XP mode under Windows.

`

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Shant1010

Shant1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

Thank you Niweg, I really appreciate the response!

Ok, so I installed Windows 10 on the secondary partition and it worked perfectly. The second Windows 10 install worked, but the original install on my first partition didn't. I tried to run easyBCD off of the second windows but it didn't even open. It showed the elevated command prompt, but after I clicked "yes" it did nothing. I checked the system logs and it turned up an error about the .net framework, which I DID install. I then created a third partition and then booted into a Windows XP disk, after trying with multiple disks, ranging from SP2 to even the 64 bit version of XP, they all gave me the same error. (this is the picture of the error: http://i.imgur.com/rLqNksK.jpg

Btw the mindset I had when trying to install Windows XP on the third partition is so I could try to run EasyBCD off of Windows XP. My main concern isn't Windows XP at this point, it's just to be able to get my original Windows 10 install working. (side note, I am able to view my first Windows 10 drive when I boot into the second Windows 10 install, it's mounted under the "D://" letter, and my second Windows 10 install is now under the "C://" letter, which is weird because it should be the other way around)

Edited by Shant1010, 24 January 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#4 Shant1010

Shant1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

UPDATE:

So I ended up fixing the problem by using the Dual-boot Repair tool. Thanks again!

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad you got it working.  I'd never heard of that dual boot repair tool, but after Googling it, I see how it could come in very handy, especially when installing an older version of Windows for dual boot.  I've never had a problem running EasyBCD under anything from XP to 10, so I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.  We do know how Murphy loves computers though!  :whistle:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

UPDATE:

So I ended up fixing the problem by using the Dual-boot Repair tool. Thanks again!

That sounds like a useful piece of software to have.  Could you post a link from where you got it?

#7 tctaylor1031

tctaylor1031

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:35 AM

I didn't post the original, but this may be the link you're looking for: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/dual-boot-repair-tool-bcd

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

I didn't post the original, but this may be the link you're looking for: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/dual-boot-repair-tool-bcd

Thank you. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users