Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC crashed with weird visual bugs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fairweva

Fairweva

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

Hey guys,

So a little while ago I made a post about this weird crash my PC had: Here's the post if you fancy reading http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600066/pc-crashed-started-showing-multicoloured-lines-and-wouldnt-start-up/

To put a long story short: My PC showed some weird visual bugs (multicoloured lines and black squares) and then crashed. Whenever I tried to restart, it would show all these weird lines and squares and wouldn't finish loading up.

Well the PC seemed to start working again for a while, so I kinda just left it. But today it happened again, so I figure this might become a regular thing if I don't sort it out soon.

Here's a couple videos I was able to capture of the visual bugs when trying to start it up:

https://youtu.be/u7fCXpljQSg?t=30s (the action starts about 30 seconds in)

I also got this little popup earlier today, which may help point to where the problem lies Attached File  pc bug.png   15.36KB   0 downloads

Here are my PC's specs: 

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

RAM: 8GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

PSU: evo labs E-750XB 

CPU: Intel Core i7   960 @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz (whatever that means)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Guerrilla  

My main goal atm is to figure out where exactly something has gone wrong, so if it's a hardware issue (which seems likely) I can work on replacing that component. 

Thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

I suggest that you unplug the video cable running to your monitor; check for damaged or bent pins/contacts, plug it back in. If you can swap it with another, try that also. It is surprising how many time this is the cause of video problems.

Pull the video card, gently wipe the contacts with a clean paper towel and reinsert. Blow out the slot first. Make sure that it is firmly installed in the slot and snapped back into place with the catch properly latched.

If you still have the problem, delete your video card drivers and reinstall from the driver disk that came with the card. Sometimes you can delete existing drivers from the install disk (not always). 

If no joy, boot into safe mode. If suddenly the problem stops you may have video card or motherboard  troubles. If the problem still exists, do a system restore to a date before this all started. Reboot normally and see if that helped.

If that does not help, there is a strong possibility that the card itself may be failing. Check your warranty on the card and if within warranty contact Nvidia.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 January 2016 - 05:23 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Fairweva

Fairweva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:56 AM

I suggest that you unplug the video cable running to your monitor; check for damaged or bent pins/contacts, plug it back in. If you can swap it with another, try that also. It is surprising how many time this is the cause of video problems.

Pull the video card, gently wipe the contacts with a clean paper towel and reinsert. Blow out the slot first. Make sure that it is firmly installed in the slot and snapped back into place with the catch properly latched.

If you still have the problem, delete your video card drivers and reinstall from the driver disk that came with the card. Sometimes you can delete existing drivers from the install disk (not always). 

If no joy, boot into safe mode. If suddenly the problem stops you may have video card or motherboard  troubles. If the problem still exists, do a system restore to a date before this all started. Reboot normally and see if that helped.

If that does not help, there is a strong possibility that the card itself may be failing. Check your warranty on the card and if within warranty contact Nvidia.

Hey,

Thank you for the response. 

I checked the monitor cable, and have tried the monitor & cable with a different PC, and everything is working fine. So I can rule those out as the cause.

I took out the video card and cleaned all the connectors/contacts, then tried again. Still ran into the same problems. The PC ran for a few minutes, before showing all the crazy visual bugs and going to a blue screen error.

I fired up the PC in safe mode, and everything seemed to run with no problems at all - no sign of the visual bugs, no crashes. I've done a system restore, but the problem remains.

Does this mean I can narrow it down to a motherboard/GPU issue? And if so, is there any way to determine which component is busted?

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:22 AM

The only way to determine 100% if the problem is the video card is to remove the card and run the monitor on integrated video from the mainboard. Unfortunately, it appears that your mainboard does not have integrated video (please correct me if I am wrong!)  so the only alternative is to find another video card and swap it with your present one. If the unit runs with no problems, the card is failing. If the same problem persists, your mainboard is failing.

At this point I strongly suspect the vid card, because you can run the computer properly using the generic Windows drivers in Safe Mode. That would also rule out the monitor as the cause.\

[EDIT]:  One last thought....If your card has a GPU cooling fan, make sure that it is still running; a couple of times I have seen those fail and the card overheats. Just a thought...

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 January 2016 - 04:31 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Fairweva

Fairweva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

The only way to determine 100% if the problem is the video card is to remove the card and run the monitor on integrated video from the mainboard. Unfortunately, it appears that your mainboard does not have integrated video (please correct me if I am wrong!)  so the only alternative is to find another video card and swap it with your present one. If the unit runs with no problems, the card is failing. If the same problem persists, your mainboard is failing.

At this point I strongly suspect the vid card, because you can run the computer properly using the generic Windows drivers in Safe Mode. That would also rule out the monitor as the cause.\

[EDIT]:  One last thought....If your card has a GPU cooling fan, make sure that it is still running; a couple of times I have seen those fail and the card overheats. Just a thought...

ty for the advice. bought a new GPU and PSU, and finished installing them both today (improved the cable management while I was at it too, super proud of myself). seems to have fixed the issue.

the PSU I was using was a a cheap "evo labs" model that came from some PC repair guy. reckon that could have contributed to the GPU dying? either way, glad to see things working for now :D 

Thank you for the help

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

Happy computing!

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:27 PM

Great! Enjoy your "new" computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users