Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My font is HUGE and I can't reduce the size. Microsoft wants to charge me!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

Hello. I have an acer windows vista computer. It's about 6 years old. Last night I increased the size of the font so that my MIL could read the print. Today I tried to return my font to it's original size (large) and I don't get the option to "apply" the changes. I went into control panel--personalization---adjust font size. I choose 120 DPI but it doesn't give me the option to apply because the font is too big and that option isn't even visible as I'm sure it's below my toolbar at the bottom.  

I called microsoft and after him taking control of my computer and searching around for a good 20 minutes he told me that I would have to pay $80 to fix this problem, optimize performance, yada, yada, yada. 

I've googled how to do it with no luck. I even tried youtube and no luck. So as of right now up a creek without a paddle.  

I am attaching a picture of what my screen shoes on the "adjust font" page. There is nothing below the writing that you see i.e. an apply tab since the font is too big. 

I've even tried safe mode but I can't find a resolution there. I hope someone here can figure this out. You all are HERO'S for those of us who are clueless. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 January 2016 - 07:30 PM.
Duplicate topic merged with this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Where is the screenshot?

#3 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

I thought I  attached it  so lets try this again. Attached File  dpi image.jpg   43.41KB   0 downloads

#4 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

I wish there was a way I could see your first (and only) reply but I can't

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:33 PM

Victoria, the bottom part of your screen is missing in the picture you posted.  Could you re-post a picture showing the whole screen?

I wish there was a way I could see your first (and only) reply but I can't

That is because you started a new thread instead of replying to the first one. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 January 2016 - 07:33 PM.
These topics have been merged. Link removed.

#6 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

I'm sorry. I could not find the "attachment" icon. I actually did think I attached it to the correct post instead of starting another one. 

So here it is. HOPEFULLY.

Attached Files

#7 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

Rather than take a photo of your screen with a phone, there is a much better way of doing this. Your computer has a print screen button or prt sc which is usually above backspace. Press this then start Paint. Then press ctrl-v and paste the picture into Paint. Save it as a .jpg and attach.

#8 Quinncy

Quinncy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:02 AM

Hello Victoria . I some times do the same thing on my computer  Is your PC on the 120 dpi or larger ? in order to make the dpi smaller or bigger ,when you go to control panel  on the left side it should tell you that you changed your dpi settings . If it does not . in the top box on the left type in dpi and you should see the options to change it in the middle screen . that will allow you to customize your desired dpi size .make sure you hit apply and restart  for the dpi to change  You can also  adjust your IE browser font settings under the view option  with the toolbar / Also check your resolution screen to see where it is located  that also makes the font bigger and smaller 

#9 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

Ok, here is the screen shot. the picture I attached the last time was the whole picture. lol. Boy I really screwed this up! I added an attachment of the view of the control panel as well. Everytime I change my internet page I have to do the whole control/scroll down with my mouse to make the screen smaller.

Thanks for helping me. 

Attached Files

#10 Quinncy

Quinncy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

Hi ok your dpi is on the default mode 96 .. that would make the display font smaller or bigger , depending on the browser  starting with IE on the toolbar  click view  and you will see options for zoom and text size . The zoom makes your page bigger or smaller on the bottom you will see customize  their you can put in your own zoom size instead of using their default zooms . If you use google chrome or other browsers on the right side you will see three lines the menue box that also controls your zoom levels But I have also noticed that each internet page I zoom + or - is stayed in a memory . If that is the problem their a solution for that also .. let me know if this helps or if you need to know how to change the memory Zoom on each page . I have changed my font bigger  many times too . Also  did you change your  screen resolution ?

#11 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

Quinncy, I just did what you said on the Chrome browser and it did allow me to change the "zoom" which I am forever grateful! I think I may have changed the resolution. I'm not sure. I googled how to do it and just used those instructions. Actually I think it gave me the option to zoom using a "ruler" type icon. And since I did  this, my individual word spacing is weird. I.E. the word individual. Ok, I'm going to push my luck and ask if you know how to change the desk top font. I tried right clicking, going to personalize and dpi setting but if you reference the screen shot above (last one)  the "apply" tab is out of view because of the fon't/dpi? 

I am including a few screen shots so you can get a better picture of what is happening on my laptop. 

Thanks Quinncy. I'm sure alot of people here get annoyed that some of us just don't know what we're doing. Unfortuntely I'm part of that population. lol

Attached Files

#12 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

Also if I don't reply quickly it's because I'm not feeling so hot and I'm trying to rest. So please don't think I'm ungrateful by not responding in a timely manner. Thanks

#13 Quinncy

Quinncy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

I know those fonts looks ..under the view  what's the zoom level ?   and text size ? 

#14 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

It was at 67% but now it's staying at 50%. You were right. It does have a memory. Did you figure anything out as far as my desk top and the other "thumbnails" that I posted previously to reduce their size to a "normal" size. I can't have it at the smallest preset setting but I would like it smaller than it is now. Again, I am attaching some thumb nails so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks Quinncy

Attached Files

#15 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:40 PM

I didn't understand what you meant by "under the view  what's the zoom level ? "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users