Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photoplus 6 And Superbladepro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KarenR

KarenR

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hello - my name is KarenR and I am new - pleasure to meet you all!

My issue - if there is anyone who can offer advice: I am teaching myself graphics programs via the Freeware route for the time being.

I have tried Deep Paint for free - it is very good - but it uses all my memory and can be a bit complicated to learn if you are not experienced at Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro type basics.

I have PhotoPlus 6 (which is actually great and free!) - but I am not having any luck using the plugin ..."Super Blade Pro" (trial version) which looks so fabulous for effects.

I can't get the effects to show on my image at all. It appears in the Super Blade Pro Preview (backwards or inverted - which is another issue! but not in the PhotoPlus.

Super Blade Pro effects did once show up on my PhPlus image - but they were inverted (meaning not in the selection I wanted, but everywhere else) I re-installed SBPro and now the effects do not appear at all on PhotoPlus image - though they appear in the SBPro preview.

I am so eager to do Text effects - all the SBPro tutorials are for Paint Shop Pro. I wish to learn how to do Text effects in PhotoPlus 6 using Super Blade Pro.

Also I would love, love, love to get a freeware version of: any Paint Shop Pro 7 8 or 9 (I have Windows 98 so 10 not applicable right now) thinking it will be best with Super Blade Pro.

But - Does anyone know anymore how to get a freeware version of PSPro 7, 8, or 9 to download anywhere - they are all pointing to PSP 10 - or I've waited an hour on one site for downloading PSP 9 - all excited! - only to be told "invalid file" just at the moment of 99% download complete ... arrrrrgh%#@$!!!!!!?

I am willing even to go back and re-install Deep Paint - but I'd need it to work within or communicate with PhotoPlus and Super Blade Pro somehow. Was it me - or seems Deep Paint could not save files as jpegs or anything without losing all the effects - that is why I "think" I need it to talk to PhotoPlus- which at one point I almost got to happen - willing to try again.

Next route is maybe buying on eBay some older Paint Shop Pro if I must I guess.

Duhh! Thank you in advance for any help!
KarenR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

I don't know where you can get a free download of Paint Shop Pro, but a good alternative would be GIMP.
There are also a lot of tutorials online for GIMP.

Have you checked out our list of freeware programs?
There are several listed under the Graphics Design & Editing heading.
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Might find something in there that you can use.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 KarenR

KarenR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Yes I checked that list - I noted PhotoPlus 6 is on there!

I once tried downloading GIMP a long time ago - the download was confusing or something if I recall - and I've browsed some GIMP tutorials - the interface and language looks daunting. I know it has really great reviews - I may just have to try again if there are no PhotoPlus tutorials - which Serif no longer provides it seems. I've looked.

Super Blade Pro I think was designed for Paint Shop Pro - so a lot of tutorials are for PSP. My dream is using the Super Blade Pro plugin for text.

Thank you again tg1911!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

You're welcome, KarenR.
You're right about there not being much information on PhotoPlus 6 tutorials. :thumbsup:
I suppose you've already seen this:
PhotoPlus 6 - Image and Photo Editing Software Tutorials

Here's a resource that might come in handy in the future:
pixel2life.com
No PhotoPlus 6 tutorials, but a lot of others.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 KarenR

KarenR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

Hey that Pixel2life looks great!!! many thanks!

Yes the Photoplus Companion is their tutorial as a PDF. It was quite good with a real easy first how-to exercize that showed me more than all the reading I'd done.

It actually helped me to be able to use other more complex programs because I then understood what the heck a layer is. But not much on plugins troubleshooting.

Appreciative of your efforts and tip!

KarenR

p.s. (gotta try to offer back some help in some way here) - I noticed on one of the threads in here an empty "photobucket" image holder - this never happens in my experience with picsplace.to

If anyone needs a good image host with no time limits, or sign up - and a limit of file size 1.5mb - I use picsplace.to - it's barebones, no frills, reliable and fast.

#6 KarenR

KarenR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

Thanks going out at the end this day to tg1911 - I'll copy here what I wrote in my "Introductions" post about how glad I was that I came here today:

"...In reply to my question in Graphics -tg1911 prompted me to look at the GIMP - but I recall it looking so scary quite a while back. But at the end of my quest today I decided to look into it - Hey what the heck - WELL, WHAT A DELIGHTFUL SURPRISE!!! It is GORGEOUS!!! (for Windows anyhow!) Big changes and improvement from what I remember. It does not look scary anymore!

I'm just reading thru the learning manual basics. And so far looks non-threatening!

So here's one for the GIMPER!

Drinks on me for tg1911 (and for when the honeymoon is over!!!)..."

Thanks again,
KarenR

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:19 PM

You're quite welcome, KarenR.
Glad the information was at least able to point you in another direction.
I've never tried Gimp, but I've heard nothing but good about it.

You said you were teaching yourself graphics programs via the Freeware route.
If you're up for something really different (3D modeling & animation), check out Blender.
It's also a free program.
Here's a link to the Full User's Guide online, if you want to look through it.
It's everything that's included in the 700+ page text manual.

Edited by tg1911, 31 July 2006 - 11:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users