Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to change registered owner?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

My computer company messed up on installation of windows 10. 

Today, I found out that the registered owner's name is wrong (besides and corrected admin account).  This is not the same as the computer name.  I really hate doing registry things, but is that the only way to change and if so, how to do so safely.

Thank you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 January 2016 - 11:30 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

The place for this is the Control Panel's User Accounts applet.  I don't see anything there for changing an ID for a given account, but you can just create another administrator account there.  I've done that numerous times in the past.  It's good practice to have more than one anyway since once in a while a given account can become corrupted.

`

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

Tierra93,

What do you mean by the "registered owner's name" and how do you know it's wrong?  I'm not seeing that anywhere in the main System Properties panel and I have no idea where or what you're looking at.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

Thank you for your responses - Niweg & britechguy

It's not the computer name or account name. But the owner's name that's in the registry. My computer company is going to fix it as the USB they made of windows 10 doesn't work either. I found out when I was checking for the product keys with a program as I was going to restore windows 10 as magnifier doesn't work (but the USB didn't work either for the restore). I read that it had to be fixed in the registry - but I won't mess with that.

My computer company said they won't place my name on the computer when they fix the problems and are going to try to fix it and the USB drive in the next couple days.

Thank you very much.

Edited by Tierra93, 18 January 2016 - 04:15 PM.

#5 idleHands

idleHands

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

I was somewhat confused as to what 'registered owner's name' was all about but found this which quickly revealed all. If you don't want to touch the registry then fair play.

Turns out mine is just the ms account name.

Just add for clarity that the link refers to vista but the article claims it works for all versions of windows vista and up. What it did for me was tell me about winver.exe which displayed the 'about windows' screen which I have never seen before.

Edited by idleHands, 21 January 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#6 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

Thank you - everyone.

I sent the computer back to the manufacturer as there were problems with the USB stick for factory reset and magnifier not working and problems with the driver for the video.  Just got it back and still problems with the magnifer not working and getting error messages and video driver problems (although the manufacturer said they were cleared up with the new clean install).

They said that my name shouldn't be anywhere on the computer, but don't know for sure since the other problems they said they cleared up are still problems.

I appreciate everyone's help greatly.

Edited by Tierra93, 28 January 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

For future references, you can copy/paste the following in a file, change the extension to .reg and launch it to modify the RegisteredOwner name in the Registry. Simply change $NAME for whatever name you want.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"RegisteredOwner"="$NAME"

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

Thank you - Aura! 

I hate going into the registry so was looking for another way; however, supposedly it's no longer an issue.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

No problem Tierra, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users