Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to "Check for Updates"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 speeddown

speeddown

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hello, hope someone knows what to do because I'm out of ideas.

Let me premise this by saying I am not a simple PC user. I worked for 6 years as a newtwork technician specializing in boundary protection. I am very familiar with the Microsoft update system. I just don't want people to think I didn't try to fix this issue myself before coming here, this is a last resort kinda deal.

When I open up the update panel on Win 7 I click check for updates and nothing happens, it just keeps checking, forever.

If I run the Update Trouble Shooting applet that's out there it returns an error code, 8002F8F. When looking up the error code it basically only mentions that your date/time might be set wrong. The first thing I did was fix the time and date, and made sure that the BIOS settings matched the windows settings.

This didn't fix the issue and I was worried maybe the battery has gone bad but the time and date stay synced.

If I look in the event manager I do see a few errors related to Windows Time service, basically it was missing the service. I've since added the "vmsctime.dll" (I know this isn't correct but hopefully it's close enough that you guys know the DLL I'm referencing here). I also ran the applet that checks for and replaces missing/corrupt service files. A help article for the subject has me unregister then re-register the service, I'm not sure if this was successful or not.

I have the feeling that something is preventing the PC from contacting the Microsoft update server, something like sls.update.microsoft.com:443 I believe but I'm not familiar with the server infrastructure enough to know how to check/rememdy this.

I've also seen some suggestions that it may be a certificate issue. I say this because when I first began working on the PC every website I went to produced certificate errors. However, after updating the time/date settings I no longer receive any certificate notifications from IE.

Please help.... :(

*EDIT

I saw the other topic about Windows Updates not initializing. I would count this as my issue however I have run the check for updates for MANY hours, over 24 hours, lol.

How would one check to see if a PC can communicate with the update server?

Edited by speeddown, 18 January 2016 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

One way that would take some time is to use another hard drive, w/an OS, and try to update. That would answer your last Q but I believe you're really searching for answers to your problem on your 7 installation. Maybe you could check registry before and after successful update on another instance of 7?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

This is a rudimentary approach, but it may work.  If you have a restore point available which was made prior to this problem try doing a system restore.

Are you using Internet Explorer 9 or higher?

I would also suggest that you replace the CMOS battery.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users