Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this possible? Wireless lan network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gfdeadly

gfdeadly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

Hello everyone. I just created an account here because I need some help.

I have very limited knoweledge of computers and how setting up networks and whatnot works, so this is a shot in the dark, I'm not even sure if this is possible but if it is it would be nice to recieve some insight on how it is done...

So I am active duty Marine Corps, and I will be deploying soon.

I'm going to be stuck on ship for a few months, and we won't have any internet access or anything. Me and my friends all want to game together still.

I was wondering how this is possible?

I know it's called setting up a LAN netowrk or whatever, but I don't even know how to get started with that.

Also, is it possible to set this up wirelessly ? I could probably get LAN/ethernet cables if I need to, but preferably I would like this all to be wireless. 

Most of us are running off of Windows 10, and will be mostly doing our gaming with Steam. I appreciate the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

You can setup a wireless lan in the same room on a ship assuming you have a wifi router and everyone has wireless cards.  You will not be able to play any games via steam though since you will not have a internet connection.  Only games you can play are those off a dvd shared from one of the game stations.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 18 January 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#3 gfdeadly

gfdeadly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

You can setup a wireless lan in the same room on a ship assuming you have a wifi router and everyone has wireless cards.  You will not be able to play any games via steam though since you will not have a internet connection.  Only games you can play are those off a dvd shared from one of the game stations.

Thanks for the response!

So even if we're running Steam in offline mode, we won't be able to play together?
Would I be able to use just any router? and how would I set it up for an offline connection/network?

Is a wireless card something I'd have to buy or are they pretty much automatically installed in laptops?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:27 PM

I believe you can play by yourself in offline mode but you can't play with others since that requires steam via internet.

You can use any wifi router.  You would only configure the lan part [wired and wireless].  You create a lan by having everyone connecting to the wifi router.

Yes laptops all have wifi cards built in these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users