Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

something is wrong with my laptop wifi

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sploog321

Sploog321

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

I can only connect to the home network when I am close to the router (in the room of the router pretty much) otherwise I get no connection further out and from my room I can only see a netgear connection available which isn't mine.

I switched wifi cards with another laptop only to have the same problem. the other laptop had no problems after the wifi card switch connecting to the home network and can see multiple networks.

any idea what is wrong?

Edited by Sploog321, 17 January 2016 - 08:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

Do other devices connect outside of the room? Is your router dying?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

There could be an issue with the antenna wires or their connection to the card. When a laptop has Wifi issues then using one of these usually solves the problem.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

There are generic ones on ebay that are fairly cheap. The TPlink can be had a Walmart for about $9 free ship to store.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

What version of Windows are you running?  There's a setting in Windows 10 that causes exactly what you describe.  It's easy to change.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

Captain_Chicken, on 17 Jan 2016 - 5:57 PM, said:

Do other devices connect outside of the room? Is your router dying?

Yes. No.

There could be an issue with the antenna wires or their connection to the card. When a laptop has Wifi issues then using one of these usually solves the problem.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

There are generic ones on ebay that are fairly cheap. The TPlink can be had a Walmart for about $9 free ship to store.

I actually bought a cheap USB 802.11 n WLAN wireless adapater recently and while it works I get slow connection the farther I am from the router. I downloading a patch for a videogame at 50kb/s in my room ad 400~kb/s near the router.

Will that usb wireless adapter you recommended be function the same as the last one I bought?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131650407293?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (this was the one I bought.)

What version of Windows are you running?  There's a setting in Windows 10 that causes exactly what you describe.  It's easy to change.

I reset the laptop thinking it would fix the problem, but it did not.

Edited by Sploog321, 19 January 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

Yes, the one I linked to would function the same as yours. Depending on if you move the computer a lot you may want to purchase a USB wifi adapter with antenna.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000MW-Wifi-Network-Long-Range-802-11-B-N-G-300M-USB-Wireless-Adapter-2x-Antenna-/331413419473

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

OK, Windows 7 doesn't have the setting that caused me a lot of grief with 10, so I dunno.  Have you considered going to wireless-AC?  It's the latest for WiFi and is supposed to have greater range.

`

Good luck.

#8 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

Yes, the one I linked to would function the same as yours. Depending on if you move the computer a lot you may want to purchase a USB wifi adapter with antenna.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000MW-Wifi-Network-Long-Range-802-11-B-N-G-300M-USB-Wireless-Adapter-2x-Antenna-/331413419473

is there a way to just fix what's wrong with my wifi card/wire connecting to it?

OK, Windows 7 doesn't have the setting that caused me a lot of grief with 10, so I dunno.  Have you considered going to wireless-AC?  It's the latest for WiFi and is supposed to have greater range.
`
 Good luck.

i read that works only of my router sets up/has an ac connection. if my phone can connect then so will my laptop? do i need to buy something for my laptop?

Edited by Sploog321, 19 January 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

The only thing I can think of is to try changing the channel on your router. 

You can rule out a hardware issue by downloading a small linux distro like Fatdog64. If you have no problem with linux connecting from upstairs then you know it's Windows related.

Download Fatdog and burn the iso to a CD. Then boot. When it detects a wireless signal you should get a wizard.

Fatdog64-701.iso

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

Yes, to go to wireless-AC you WOULD need a router that supports it.  I got mine for $30 from Amazon.  Re your phone & laptop connecting, not knowing what you have, I'd assume your phone uses a cellular connection and your router uses a different connection.  If that is the case, then one's working wouldn't imply anything about the other.

`

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users