Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD Install and windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RandyM22

RandyM22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Hello all,

I sure hope someone can point in the right direction... I just purchased a new SSD 480GB, I intend to install and have a few questions. I intend to do a fresh install of windows 10, I already have made a ISO on DVD to do so using Media Creator for windows 10 via the Microsoft website. Upon looking into my BIOS to get familiar with the boot options, etc. Upon doing so I cannot find anywhere in there to select or go from IDE to AHCI which I assume I must do, I however do see an option in this area that gives an option for RAID AHCI, Is this what I should select?? The motherboard is a MSI760GM-P23 that serves me well. 

Secondly, Is there anything I need to do via Disk Management once in windows 10? I intend to simply install the SSD , disconnect the current HD and then commence with the windows Install. It is my hope to have this SSD as my C: Drive and then later connect the HD which operates fine, and use that as storage which I assume I can do upon formatting it for such. Which leads to another question, When I get to the point of reinstalling the HD , what are the steps to correctly format this drive and will windows assign a non conflicting Drive Letter automatically. Thanks much, I sure hope to hear something back soon , as I would prefer to do this today as it is the weekend and can dedicate the time necessary to do such. Thanks to all who respond , it is greatly appreciated. 

Also, will my onboard audio be effected at all? Will I need to install the drivers for this or will windows automatically find this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

your computer will recognize a SSD just like any other hard drive. Just plug it in, and boot up with the ISO, and follow the on screen instructions on which drive you want to install it to. Unless your wanting to do RAID, you shouldnt have to change anything in the BIOS.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:00 AM

Does the Existing C:drive allready have Win 10 on it , as you stated the drive is working fine anyway.

If so then just clone it to the SSD and you up and going again , and you wont have to worry about Updates / Drivers.

If its Win 7 then hold back on the Format of it after you install 10 on the SSD , just as a backup in case Win 10 gives you any issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users