Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop up saying my Norton was expireing.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

I had a pop up this afternoon saying my Norton was about to expire.  Only I have not had Norton on any computer I have owned in the last 10 years. Nevermind this one LOL.

I spent a few hours today looking in my system and shure enough no Norton anywhere.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

That is strange. Normally I would advise folks to try running the Norton Removal Tool.

If you only received one pop up alert it could have been due to encountering a pop up scam. There are several which pretend to be related to Norton.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:19 AM

That is sort of what I was thinking it was more like a quarter of a page than just a small pop up. That and the fact that I had never even visited the norton web site in years.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

Once again, it would help if you could post a screenshot.

Edited by Agouti, 18 January 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

I am sorry I do not keep a snipping tool handy to catch these things for you.  The pop up only displayed for a couple of seconds and then closed it self out.

Since my cursor was at the top of the page and the snip tool was at the bottom I doubt I would of had time to reach it never mind use it.

Quietman 7 came up with a logical explanation already. Thank you.

I will mention that I found out later that I also received a email notice of the same thing but during a different time frame. May be unrelated.

If my warning kept just one person from accidentally clicking/installing something they really did not want. I am all for it.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

You don't have to have the snipping tool handy.  Just press the PrintScreen key (i.e. PrtScn) and your screen will be copied to the clipboard.  After that you can open any graphics program (e.g. Paint) then paste it from the clipboard and save it.  Pressing the Printscreen key shouldn't even take a second.

However, I do agree with Quietman.  If you have nothing to do with Norton then it must be a scam.  But this leads to another question: Why should you receive an unsolicited popup?

Edited by Agouti, 18 January 2016 - 02:12 PM.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

I thought most PUPs were not solocited.  Does one always get viruses or malware or spyware by solocitation?

Personally I have no explanation other than I know one popped up on this pc.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

Sorry.  What I meant by "unsolicited" is the popup occurred without your permission.

One way you could get popups is from your browser.  Also, your previous screenshots indicate that you are using Firefox.  If so, Firefox blocks popups by default, that is, unless you didn't changed the setting.  Popups can come from malware on your system too.  A screenshot would help identify whether the popup came from your browser and that is the reason I asked for one.

Does one always get viruses or malware or spyware by solocitation?

No.  No person in their right mind should intentionally "solicit" malware onto their system.  However, since you did see a popup it could mean that you have malware on your system.  It follows that you should be asking yourself... "Why did I get this popup?"  "Do I have malware on my system?"  "Should I get a check to see whether I have malware on my system?"  ... and so on and so forth.

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

Very true since I have very recently had help from the malware forum and my resident secrity programs do not find anything?

That however does not mean something could not have slipped in since then.LOL

Emisisoft does keep blocking and quarentined  a randomly numbered MSI installer trying to install quietly in the back ground.

Emsisoft support has so far not been able to identify this file.

Possibly part of the same overall problem now that I think about it.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

There are lots of complaints about those types of pop up alerts from users who actually have Norton installed or shortly after remove it. Scammers take advantage of that kind of information and create fake alerts, wep pages... hoping to trick folks into clicking on malicious links or calling a bogus tech support number.

As I said, if it was only a one time thing I wouldn't worry about especially since I know how careful you try to be and utilize your security scanners often.

If you want to learn more about PUPs, read this topic...About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users