Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need USB 2.0 to IDE cable help/info

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bsloan1960

bsloan1960

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hi,

I have a windows 10 Toshiba laptop. Back when I had an XP desktop I bought a device called an "R-Driver 2 USB 2.0 to IDE cable". This thing connected to uninstalled XP PC hard drives and allowed me to view the contents, I bought it new on eBay for about $15. This thing was just a box that plugged into the HD, a USB to connect to the computer, and I think a power supply. There was no case to put the hard drive into and I don't require anything other than the electrical device'

Well, I lost the thing, I have a couple of uninstalled hard drives I'd like to connect and view on my Windows 10 laptop. I have found a couple of the above noted devises for sale but none mention Windows 10 support.

So I need to know what to buy so I can view 2 uninstalled XP hard drives. I'll need to know exactly what the product is called as my limited knowledge won't allow me to understand a general reference. One of the hard drives is Western Digital WD800 Enhanced IDE Hard Drive. the other drive is Western Digital WD300 Enhanced IDE Hard Drive

Thanks

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

Something like this would meet your needs. It's from the Amazon UK site but I expect you could find something similar in your own area. Just be careful to check that whatever you buy is for IDE hard drives !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Additions%C2%AE-Drive-Docking-Station/dp/B005X75SQ6/ref=sr_1_5/278-0356622-6368937?ie=UTF8&qid=1453075569&sr=8-5&keywords=ide+to+usb+dock

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

In addition to Chris's suggestion you can go with an adapter like this with a power brick which will also work for SATA drives. The power brick is required for 3.5" drives. 2.5" portable drives can be run from just the USB port and a power brick is not needed. If you only have 2.5" IDE drives then one of these would work.

#4 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

Thank you both. Although Chris's was cooler as a gadget I went with your cheap eBay Idea John- in fact it is just a bundle of wires which is exactly like the one I lost. I just ordered it.

I didn't order the 2nd thing you had linked John because I don't know what this means,

"The power brick is required for 3.5" drives. 2.5" portable drives can be run from just the USB port and a power brick is not needed. If you only have 2.5" IDE drives then one of these".

Hate to tell you but this is greek to me- but I'm good at understanding if you will explain what these numbers mean, and are they on my PC or on my uninstalled drives? What is a 2.5 and 3.5 drive? Thanks again

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

The larger 3.5 inch drivers require extra power to spin up while the smaller 2.5" drivers can get there power using the USB port itself with no need for the power adapter brick. But, the one you ordered gives you more options. The one you ordered is what I have.

hard_drives.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 January 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#6 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

The larger 3.5 inch drivers require extra power to spin up while the smaller 2.5" drivers can get there power using the USB port itself with no need for the power adapter brick. But, the one you ordered gives you more options. The one you ordered is what I have.

hard_drives.jpg

The one on the left is the on I have- they came from xp desktops. So once again forgive my need for exact answers.With the larger of the 2 being what I want to power up do I need to order the thing on the 2nd link- or is the need component among the many wires that came with the thing I ordered? Once again- thanks

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:48 AM

You need the one with the with the power brick, which you ordered, if you have the larger drive. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-New-/331250999094

Here is a nice video if you have forgotten the procedure. You should avoid touching the circuit board of the hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 January 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#8 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

Got it. Thanks so much for having mercy me and taking the time to get me squared away!

#9 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:13 PM

Hello Again,

Well, The adapter arrived from eBay. The device is very simple to use but neither hard drives register as connected when I use the cable and power cord to connect them. These are drives I previously ran with a similar device on my desk top but I lost the cord. This cord is essentially identical. The only indication that anything is working is the power adaptor has a green light that goes on when you plug it into the wall.

Nothing I've done gives any indication that the computer knows that a drive has been connected. Under Drives in Device Manager only my laptop drive shows uo. it doesn't show up in My Computer, no message of New Hardware detected, the drive doesn't start to spin. nothing. it is the same for both hard drives I tried. It is a universal kit and it is easy to determine which components go with my drives because they won't connect any other way.

So, Ideas? Power pack works but not the usb connector?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

It could be a power brick issue. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the power cable from the brick is completely secure in the hard drive's power connector and the ide connector is completely inserted into the drive. Also, try different USB port on the computer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users