Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice...should I get MCSA?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattg24

mattg24

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

Hello,

I got my associate degree in Computer Technology Integration in May 2014.  Since then, I have had very little success getting my career started in IT.  At the time I graduated, I had A+, Network+, and ACE certifications, and received very little interest for the jobs I was applying for.  Since then, my A+ and Network+ certifications have expired, and having practically no real job experience in the IT field, I feel like my chances of getting hired are getting slimmer as time goes on.

I've recently been thinking about going for my MCSA to have something new to put on my resume and show that I am staying current with technology.  Right now I'm mainly looking for entry-level desktop support type jobs.

Would this be a good move to jump-start my career?  Seeing that having A+ and Network+ certs didn't seem to help much before, I feel like getting re-certified in those would be a waste of time and money for me.  Is the MCSA more desirable to employers than the CompTIA certs?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:41 AM

What types of jobs are you applying for?  That may be why your A+ and Network+ weren't getting you any where. A+ is an entry level support certification that will help you land a help desk position, possibly a level 2 position.  I don't believe that Network+ is going to be of much more help as it isn't sufficient for LAN management, but it does give you a good solid foundation for network troubleshooting.

Second how are you applying?  If you're applying directly to companies you're not going to have as much success as you would posting to job boards.  Again, which boards will depend on what type of job you're looking to acquire.

I can be of more help you I know what type of job you're looking for.

#3 mattg24

mattg24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Mainly I'm looking for entry-level desktop support positions. I did work for a month doing level 1 dsl phone support and hated it, so I'm looking for something more hands-on now.

Mostly I've been applying directly to companies but I do have my resume up at career builder and a few other job sites.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

Okay.  Post your resume on Monster, Dice, and Indeed Sunday.  Every Sunday after, update your resume.  You don't have to change anything just upload the same file again.  The reason for this is that companies looking for new resumes on Monday will get yours every week.

If you can afford it, have your resume professionally done.  I paid $300 last century to have mine done and have just kept it up to date since then.

Certifications, unfortunately you're stuck with certifications that expire.  I don't know that I would spend the time and money to get a Microsoft certification, other than possibly just the OS certifications.  The problem is that since I know what is on the Windows 7 certification exam I can tell you that the information required to pass won't be of much use on the job, but the certification might give you a leg up.  As you gain experience the certifications become less important, my last Microsoft certifications were the 2000 series.

Know what you want up front, how much per hour, what shift, how far of a drive.  Be up front about what you want.  Know how much the position you're looking for pays, don't ask for $30 an hour when $10 is what similar jobs pay.

You may not be able to get a hands on job without going through a help desk position first.

Edited by Kilroy, 18 January 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#5 mattg24

mattg24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

Thank you for all the helpful info, much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users