Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mother board not detecting video card

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trexburn

Trexburn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

First off I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this. My 16 year old built his first computer and I am attempting to help. He has installed an asrock z170 pro4 and a gigabyte radeon R9 390. The question is if you go to device manager the MB card is the only one listed. I have went into bios and it doesn't show anything in the pcie slot says empty. We have updated bios turned on board card off. Replaced mb. The vc has lights and fans working. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Asrock z170 pro4 not detecting gigabyte radeon R9 390. Have tried a new mb, disabled onboard card, updated bios.

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2016 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

I would try a different card...before assuming that it may be the board.  Alternatively...try the mentioned card on a different system.  I would prove to myself that the card is not the problem before going any further.

Louis

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

can you post a complete list of specs? and what exactly its doing on boot up? does it boot up to post or not at all?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Trexburn

Trexburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

I'm new to all this, trying to help my son. What specs are you needing? It does boot up and run fine but only runs on mother board card. It seem as though the board is not detecting the card. Card doesn't show up in device manager or in bios it says there is nothing in pcie slot. Tried both slots and new mother board, updated bios. Card does light up and fan runs on it.

#5 Trexburn

Trexburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

I don't have another system to try it on. The card did come with a disc, I'm not sure what it's for but we downloaded it and when you click on the icon it says please verify support for this vga card. I believe that's what it says anyway.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:29 AM

We need all components:
Cpu gpu psu mobo ram storage etc.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Trexburn

Trexburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

CPU is an core i5, GPU is a gigabyte radeon r9 390,psu corsair hx 1000i, mobo asrock 170 pro4, ram (2) 4 gig.crucial balistix sport ddr4 2400, hard drive Western caviar blue 1ter., ssd Samsung 850 evo. Series 120 gig

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

My friend has had trouble with his asrock z170 pro4 too.
Are the power cables for the gpu hooked up?
Does a different card work?
If all else fails rma the vid card.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Trexburn

Trexburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

We don't have a different card, the power to the card is connected the lights and fans on it come on. Since this is his first build and I basically know nothing is there anything you need to do as in an overlooked easy step everyone should know that we don't. Or usually does the mobo automatically see a card with no steps needed

#10 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:35 PM

There's a slight chance theres 4 pin connector in the card, connect it to gpu and try it out

Don't even think about it if your not sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users