Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc freezes when running gpu intensive tasks.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TimBC

TimBC

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

This is my first time on this forum so if I seem rude or stupid i'm sorry.

Let me tell you a story: I bought a second handed pc (yes the risks tongue.png) for 280€ and it featured: i5 3470, 8gb GEIL ddr3 1066Mhz ram, asrock h61m, gt420, corsair vs450 psu, 750gb 7200rpm hdd.
It was all built in an medion case wich he took al the parts out and put the listed above back in.
So i wanted to use it for gaming and put an msi gtx 750ti 2gb oc in. 

So it ran fine for 3+ months. Then i force-closed it (hold the power button in) because it didnt want to shut down, the next day i booted it up everything ran fine but windows said my hard drive needed an check so it did and rebooted, it asked again but this time when it rebooted windows crashed. 
I installed an new copy of windows 10 and the drivers with it. 
Everything looked to be fine until i booted up gta V and it crashed after 15 minutes, displaying nvidia driver stopped working and has recovered, i found a 'fix' online but it still didnt work.
The next day i took the side panel off and it ran fine for 45 minutes and then it crashed again.
So I took msi afterburner and furmark to check the temps, it was on 58℃ and crashed.
So i thought it couldnt be the gpu temps.
So i dont know what it is, the psu, cpu, ram maybe even the motherboard.
Any suggestions/fixes would make me very happy!
I wish you an nice day. 

I have checked the voltages on my PSU, i let furmark run until it displayed nvidia driver has stopped and has recovered. It also states the temps on my gpu.

http://prntscr.com/9rb9mc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Can't be sure it's the same issue but I've just reverted to Win 8.1 from Win 10 in the last week or so due to persistent graphic driver failures that crashed the system at times. Most of the time it would just freeze the screen. Eith wayt it was unacceptable. Nothing I did fixed it, including reverting drivers or reducing game settings etc. I would at least consider it a suspect.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

You could try running display driver uninstaller and then downloading the driver from the manufacturer's website.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 TimBC

TimBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

I've already re-downloaded my driver. Its not windows as it ran fine before, I think its an hardware related issue. Could the psu be it? It got as low as 11,458 volts. Maybe this psu is better https://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=1106979.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

Yeah it absolutely could be a psu issue, try replacing it.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 TimBC

TimBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

@Captain_Chicken I would like to be assured its fixed if i buy a new one. I tried it with the psu out of the case and it froze up (psu out of the case for more cooling). Here take a look: http://we.tl/qcTbSHs5Yd

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

That link shortcuts to a download. I do not download anything to my pc unless I know exactly what it is. If it is a youtube video, just give us a link.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 TimBC

TimBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:01 AM

That link shortcuts to a download. I do not download anything to my pc unless I know exactly what it is. If it is a youtube video, just give us a link.

No it was not, it was a video and a picture made by me. Sadly it gives off a 404 error so i will re-post it when i het back home (5 hours or so). You dont need it its just nice to see whats happening instead of hearing.

Edit: Ooh nvm this one works, its a video how the pc in question crashes, if you dont trust me, i aint forcing you to download mate!

Edited by TimBC, 19 January 2016 - 02:02 AM.

#9 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

I'm willing to help

Don't even think about it if your not sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users