Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my graphics card done for?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NicklasBL

NicklasBL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

There have been two different stages of the problem which i am facing, the first is not the current problem, but might help to draw a conclusion on the current one.

System specs

CPU: Intel I7 3770K @3.5 GHz 

GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB DDR5

RAM: 16 GB

Storage: 125 GB SSD and 2TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI ZH77A-G43

Power supply: Cooler master GX bronze 750W 

The first problem

So yesterday my computer had somewhat of an weird crash which I have never seen before. I usually use a triple monitor setup, and all of a sudden all three screens Starts flickering faulty colors, as can be seen on some of the pictures below.

wqtJxm0.jpg

One of the original crashes, not the first one. 

nAJdLsD.jpg

Another colorful crash this time with three monitors, one turned pink, another white and the third black

Soon after these pictures the computer crashes and reboots.

After the reboot the computer would not always seem to have problems, but would always start struggling if I would start some real graphical demanding applications like a computergame (Starcraft II, League of Legends), and it appered to help by disconnecting two of the three screens i use. I also was able to troubleshoot in the game League of Legends, where i originally had my framerate capped at 80, so i tried to see what would happen as i turned it to uncapped, and as it went to 400+ the problem appeared and the computer crashed.

I start searching for the problem online with some of the errors reported just before and during the blue screen.

Before the computer went into blue screen There would pop up a little message saying "Nvidia windows kernel mode driver 316.43 stopped responding and was recovered successfully". After researching the error I found different solutions on how to solve the problem and went to try them. Sadly none of the did fully fix the problem, but one notably did help me isolate what might be wrong.

By removing the driver mentioned in the error, I was able to use the computer without it crashing, so I thought that it was just a flaw in the driver, not the graphics card. So I started backtracking to a driver which did not cause problem, but after backtracking all the way back to drivers from september last year I found no driver without this problem.

The Blue screen report had the error "Video tdr failure" which i really did not get to troubleshoot before the next problem started.

The current problem

Late into the night i decided to try and fix the problem with a solution a lot of people had help them. By underclocking the GPU as instructed here I thought it might help, but did not do anything and i returned my clock settings to default. The new problem appeared after one of the many dozen of crashes the faulty colors started to appear even when I had no drivers installed. At the same time the Fan from my graphics card went crazy and started  It was as if the problem shifted from being the drivers to being something else. I decided to go to bed and hope for something magical to fix the problem overnight happen overnight. Sadly nothing was different the next day.

oYxXxLw.jpg

hu8XtBj.jpg

The desktop and BIOS both showing the current problems, this is with or without any drivers the screen looks like this

I Decided to find out where the new problem might be. Since the problem appeared with or without drivers I feared (and still do) the problem to be the graphics card. I went into BIOS and switched to the internal graphics card in the motherboard and the problem was gone everything was clean and stable. i decided to reinstall Windows 10 and clean up the inside of my computer from dust, but the problem still remained as i switched over to the GTX 680 card. 

35kT5Z7.jpgBIOS with the Integrated graphics card, no problems here

Now i am no longer have any idea of what to do, and therefore i go to here for help. Is my graphics card done for? Or is there anyone with a possible solution to the problem i am facing now.?

except the solutions i have mentioned i have done the following:

Early on i Scanned my computer for security threats.

Changed settings in Nvidia control panel as instructed here.

I have checked the power cables are connected proberly to the GPU

Tried using another cable as ScathEnfys suggested

Hope someone is up for helping me ;)

1st Edit Added more to the solutions i have tried, added The power supply to list of specs

Edited by NicklasBL, 17 January 2016 - 04:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

Have you checked the cables connecting the GPU to the monitors? The green lines in BIOS have appeared with faulty cables before.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 NicklasBL

NicklasBL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

Have you checked the cables connecting the GPU to the monitors? The green lines in BIOS have appeared with faulty cables before.

Thank you for the suggestion, but it was sadly not the solution to my problem, both my BIOS and Windows looks the same with a different cable.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

How old is your GPU? If you might be ready for an upgrade, this would be a good excuse ;)
There might be a solution but this is beyond my level of experience. Good luck!
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 NicklasBL

NicklasBL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

How old is your GPU? If you might be ready for an upgrade, this would be a good excuse ;)
There might be a solution but this is beyond my level of experience. Good luck!

The whole computer is nearing 4 years of experience, so I too was thinking that it might be time to switch ;)

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

What would your budget be for a new card?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 NicklasBL

NicklasBL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

What would your budget be for a new card?

I was thinking I would invest in a GTX 970 if i have to replace the current card. I am not really on a budget, but i would prefer a card that does not require me to change any other parts in the computer. 

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g
Look good?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

This could also be a driver issue.  A quick way to determine if this is an issue is to boot into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode uses a native graphics driver, it will not use the NVIDIA drivers.  If the problem doesn't repeat in Safe Mode this would be a very good indication that this is a driver issue.

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 need to have Safe Mode enabled in order to boot into it

Set up Windows 10 so that when it boots it will boot into Safe Mode.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.  In the menu that opens select Search.  When the Search charm opens type in msconfig.

msconfig will appear below the search box, click/tap on it.

When System Configuration opens click/tap on the Boot tab.

Under Boot options click/tap on Safe boot, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Please note.  You computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode when it is started until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check in Safe boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 NicklasBL

NicklasBL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

This could also be a driver issue.  A quick way to determine if this is an issue is to boot into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode uses a native graphics driver, it will not use the NVIDIA drivers.  If the problem doesn't repeat in Safe Mode this would be a very good indication that this is a driver issue.

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 need to have Safe Mode enabled in order to boot into it

Set up Windows 10 so that when it boots it will boot into Safe Mode.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.  In the menu that opens select Search.  When the Search charm opens type in msconfig.

msconfig will appear below the search box, click/tap on it.

When System Configuration opens click/tap on the Boot tab.

Under Boot options click/tap on Safe boot, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Please note.  You computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode when it is started until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check in Safe boot.

Thank you for the suggestion, but again this sadly did not fix the issue I am having. The issue appears in BIOS, Safe mode and a normal boot up

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

Do you have a friend with a similar computer that you could try this card in?

The fact that Safe Mode didn't make any difference and the integrated graphics worked without a problem leads me to thing the dedicated card is failing.  But the only way to be sure would be to try it in a computer that is not experiencing any problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 NicklasBL

NicklasBL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

So I have finally been able to fix the issue, but sadly the solution has been to replace the old card with a new one. I decided to buy the GTX 970 which currently is running smooth with drivers and all. Thanks to everyone for the attempts at finding a great solution, but it seems that the old card had been ruined and had to be replaced to solve my issue.  

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

Happy computing!

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler