Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion p7-1174 does not recognise USB 3 external device

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chevelle67

chevelle67

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

I have an HP p7-1174 desk top, AMD quad, 8gb Ram, 1.5TB Seagate C HDD, AMD Radion 7850 Video card and I am trying to use a Kingwin USB 3 KH-302U3 external HDD for my back ups. This device works well with my 8.1 computer so the device functions. When I plug it in to the 1174 it only flashes rhythmically and the computer does not see it in "computer" or "disk manager". I have;

-Wiped the hard drive with Seagate disk wizard and re-formatted. No help.

-checked health of HDD. Normal

-Hooked up the HDD internally to do a back up and it worked well.

-UpDated USB 3 root hub. No help.

-Uninstalled USB 3 root hub and reinstalled. No help

-Purchased a USB 3 adapter, Vantec UGT-PC341, installed, device manager says it is working properly but the 1174 does not see the device by computer or manager.

-When the Kingwin is flashing the "device manager" page flashes off and on.

-Connected the Kingwin to Intel, win 8.1 and the device works fine.

-USB 2 works but backups take forever.

Please help my computer use its USB 3 and connect to the external Kingwin USB 3 device.

Chevelle67

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

I don't know if it will help but HP has an updated AMD USB3 driver on your support page under chipset. In regards to the Vantec PCIe card, you installed the drivers for it, correct?

#3 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

This had already been done but just-to-make-sure I repeated the downloads. Device manager states all are working properly. 1174 still not seeing Ext HDD on USB 3 either with computer or Vantec. Chevelle67

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

Are you saying that the USB3 device works on the USB 2 ports? If that is the case then I am not sure what the problem is. If it does not work on the USB2 ports and USB3 ports then it may be due to the computer not providing enough power through USB3. For that you can get a Y cable that will attach to two USB3 ports to provide any extra power needed. But, I can't guarantee this would work either. 

#5 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

The USB 2 works with USB 2 devices. The USB 3 EXT HDD is not recognized by the USB 2 port. When I plug it into USB 2 the light on the Kingwin flashes with a new rhythm. I tried setting the BIOS to "defaults" incase I messed with it in the past but that did not help. The Kingwin has its own power supply. Is this what the Y cable is for or is this for something else? Chevelle67

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

I was thinking of a portable drive, sorry. If yours has a power supply then the Y cable would not help. I have a USB3 portable drive that works on USB2 so I am not sure why yours does not as USB3 is supposed to be backward compatible with USB2. 

#7 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

I just tried a USB 3  64GB  flash drive and it works in the MOBO USB 2, the MOBO USB 3 and the Vantec USB 3. Any other ideas to help determine compatability with the Kingwin with the 1174? Chevelle67

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

The only thing I can think of is the kingwin is drawing more power than the USB ports can supply but that is just a guess. Do you happen to have a USB powered hub available or one you can borrow?

#9 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:24 PM

I have an old Antec USB 2 that works with the 1174 but is very slow. I was hoping the Kingwin would be an upgrade. Chevelle67

#10 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:02 PM

Do you mean a powered external 5 or 7 USB extender? I may. I will give it a try. Chevelle67

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:12 PM

Do you mean a powered external 5 or 7 USB extender? I may. I will give it a try. Chevelle67

Yes, that is what I was asking. If it is a USB2 hub and you can get the kingwin to be detected then you can get a USB3 powered hub and that should work.

#12 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

I connected an old Inland 2.0 powered 7 port HUB. It states that it does not have enough power to support the Hi-speed device I am trying to use. It is not reading the Kingwin. Is it possible to know how much power my USB 3 ports put out from my mother board of the 1174? Is this going to be less power than my other computer that runs these Kingwins OK with a gaming ASRock? It would be good to know the power out put of the 1174 and the power needs of the Kingwin with Seagate 2TB HDD. Wouldn't the new Vantec USB 3 HUB have modern power for a modern external device? Chevelle67

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

Those are all good questions. Unfortunately I don't have all the answers. You should have enough power from the PCIe card. USB 3 is supposed to supply 900ma vs 500ma for USB 2. 

Go to Device Manager. Under Universal Serial Ports you will see listings for USB hubs. Right click and select Properties. Under the Power tab it will list how much power is being supplied but I don't know if this is just a standard output if it detects the USB version or an actual reading. You can attach the kingwin to the USB hub and then when it says there is not enough power check the Power tab on the correct hub and see what power the kingwin requires. Plug in your USB 3 flash drive and check it's power requirements.

uJVPV.png

Your USB 2 hub through up an error saying there was not enough power. Before using the hub there was nothing at all. I am wondering if it would work with a USB 3 hub but I can't guarantee that would work either. 

#14 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:37 PM

I retried the Kingwin on another computer and it worked. I then tried it on the 1174 and it did not work. I called Kingwin for support and it took days and got a lack luster response. I bought another brand and it worked quickly and well. Essentially I will eat the Kingwin and use the other brand. I feel that there is some interface problem that will not let this Ext HDD work with this computer. I appreciate all of your advice. You guys are great. Keep up the good work. Sign off. Chevelle67

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users