Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus not detected in Avast & MBAM, but detected when I upload the file to Gmail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nparab

nparab

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:08 AM

I did a stupid thing yesterday. I downloaded an icon pack APK file on my computer to upload to my mobile. Anyway, the thing is, when I double clicked on it, BlueStacks (Android Emulator) opened up, and Avast started giving me lots of warnings about BlueStacks accessing Trojan URLs (it blocked them of course).

Now, the thing is: I scanned the APK file both in Malware Bytes Anti Malware and Avast (and even Malware Bytes Anti Rootkit), and it showed no virus or malware found. But when I try to attach the the same APK file as a Gmail attachment (which I read on the net detects viruses, which is why I tried it), Gmail gives me a "Virus found" error.

So, my question is how come such reliable antivirus / anti-malware programs like MBAM and Avast didn't detect the virus but Gmail did? And more importantly, (though I have deleted the APK file in question from my computer) is my computer safe? Or has a rootkit / trojan been installed?

Edited by nparab, 17 January 2016 - 06:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

Upload file in question here: https://www.virustotal.com/ for security check.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 nparab

nparab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:58 AM

I deleted the file asap, after I got the warning from Gmail. Should I download it again just to scan? Reluctant to do that. I guess I will have to assume that no trojan has been installed.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

If you're not having any issues you should be good to go :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 nparab

nparab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:33 AM

Ok. Thanks. :)

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

You're very welcome p22002759.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users