Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet access after closing VPN connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zimmer46

zimmer46

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:49 AM

I use a VPN occasionally which has worked fine for about 12 months.   However, recently when I close the VPN connection, the inbuilt network adaptor does not reconnect to the internet via my ISP as it usually would.   I have full network access and checking the adaptor settings it is connected to my router and has its usual fixed IP address and says its connected to the gateway address, but in Ethernet Status it shows as no connectivity for IPv4.    The only way to resolve it seems to be by disabling the adaptor and then re-enabling it and it then reconnect.    I have tried this with fixed IP and DHCP.   Also tried flushing DNS, releasing and renewing via ipconfig without success.  Also tried disabling AV and firewall.

It was working OK until just a couple of days ago.     

Not a major problem, but I am puzzled and would like to get the root of this.

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

If you reboot does the problem go away?

#3 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

Yes if I reboot the PC the adaptor allows internet access.   I suppose that has same effect as disabling and re-enabling the adaptor tho.

BTW, I should have mentioned on the initial post that the PC is running Windows 10.   I have another PC still running Win 7, so I think I will set up a VPN on that and see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

Edit .... just tried it and on a Win 7 PC the internet connection just reverts to my ISP connection as soon as I terminate the VPN.

Now it was working OK in Win 10 until recently and I know Win 10 has applied a fairly big update recently so wonder if it could be part of that.

Andrew

Edited by zimmer46, 17 January 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#4 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

Well don't ask me how, but today the problem seems to have resolved itself. 

Topic closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users