Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Tester

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:40 AM

Stupid question but will a standard power supply tester like what you can get from Newegg etc. test power supplies in proprietary systems like Dell, HP, etc? I've read that these power supplies aren't "standard" but I don't know if that means physically, electrically or both.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:48 AM

That will depend on the power supply in question - certainly some Dells have power supplies with standard connectors & wiring so could be tested with a standard tester, but equally some are not standard so could not. The same probably applies to HP & others.

#3 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

Thanks rqt. Now I need to figure out how to determine this. I guess get the pinouts and compare.

#4 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

Well the Dell T5400 is completely different. I guess I'll forgo the tester and just use a multi-meter.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

The majority of power supplies will have a 24pin ATX connector. As long as your tester works off of that connector, it should work with 99% of power supplies.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users