Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure out how to turn wireless on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 schues

schues

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

A few days ago the wireless adapter on my computer (Sony VAIO laptop) suddenly stopped working. Troubleshooter says wireless capability is turned off even though when I check, the adapter is enabled and is "working properly." There is not a physical switch on the computer and no other way I know of to turn it on.

I cannot think of Anything that had happened immediately before this. I did try a system restore to before I had the problem, to no avail. I did also check a few places in the registry as suggested by a google search. I'm not positive exactly what I should be looking for but didn't see anything I thought looked unusual.

Also, don't know if it's related, but every time I restart, the BIOS opens (insydeh2o setup utility) and I have to exit out of it. Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:32 AM

Hi schues,

Not sure if this is your model or not, but worth a look

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/pc/VPCEG1_EH1_EJ1_EL1_series/EN/contents/02/17/03/03.html#l1_<l1>starting wireless lan communications

Good luck 

Hedge

#3 schues

schues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

Unfortunately this computer already had a hard drive failure, and when I replaced that, I did not reinstall the VAIO software (I found it annoying and not useful). Not sure if I would somehow be able to reinstall it. Also, that page does mention a wireless switch, but my model definitely doesn't have one. The model is SVT131A11L if that helps anyone.

#4 Trakstarz

Trakstarz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

1.Uninstall your wireless adapter in hardware manager.

2. Restart computer

3. Reinstall wireless adaptor if windows hasn't already

4. Restart computer

5. Check for latest updates of any

6. Results?

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

There are two places I'd look.  First, look in Device Manager under Network Adapters.  Make sure the wireless adapter there isn't disabled.  Next look at the Control Panel's Network and Sharing center.  If WiFi isn't turned on there, click Change Adapter Settings.  You can right-click on your WiFi adapter and change its setting there.

`

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users