Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not respond, have tried everything I could think of.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anorak112

Anorak112

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

I consider myself to be pretty tech-savvy, but I am just stumped on this one. I have a computer made with some older hardware running XP that is not connected to the internet, purely for playing some older games. Today my brother unplugged the SURGE PROTECTOR while it was booting and will not send any information to the monitor. No BIOS, no nothing. Not a peep. I have switched monitors, tried all inputs, switched from discrete to integrated graphics, with no luck. All I get is a no signal on boot. I have gone in and unplugged and replugged cables into the hard drive, and graphics card, took the GPU out, dusted it off, put it back in, still nothing. I have not had any sign of improvement and I don't really have anything to go on. Help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anorak112

Anorak112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

Sorry, forgot to post the specs. It's a microATX mobo, EVGA Geforce 8400, Intel Celeron (Dual-Core, 2.4GHz), 2 GB RAM.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

This pc is not posting, I get? That is indicative of a low level hardware failure. With that old a pc and the fact windows is bound to the motherboard. I would look into a new psu.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Anorak112

Anorak112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

By posting, I assume you mean power on self test, and no, it isn't. But although it might be irrelevant, it doesn't power off with a button press, it has to be held for five seconds to turn off.

#5 Anorak112

Anorak112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

This pc is not posting, I get? That is indicative of a low level hardware failure. With that old a pc and the fact windows is bound to the motherboard. I would look into a new psu

What do you mean by low level hardware failure?

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

A low level hardware failure is that likely a component on the mainboard has failed. It may be a leaking capacitor which is fixable. Watch this:
To learn how to identify bad caps.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users