Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new computer this tax time...need advice.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gail25

Gail25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

Purchase Template: (I couldn't change the title while editing this).

Laptop or Desktop? Either one.

My budget for the new computer is: $500.00

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
Business (like ebay), surfing the net, watching movies, videos, storing photos/videos, facebook if there's time, sometimes photo editing with photoshop (until trial runs out), gimp, writing in wordpad...
What software do you intend on using on the computer?
AV - can't afford any other software.
Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
Want to. I've always wanted to play a Sims game again...but it's not a priority.
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
Yes, sometimes up to 10+ tabs, wordpad, calculator.
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
No music. Photos and videos, yes. Lots of them. I back them up on USBs as well. I take a lot of pictures.
Will you be overclocking?
Not sure what that means. If that means having to use the pc while plugged in cause the battery ran out, then yes. (I sometimes use 8-10 hours on the pc everyday..)
Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
USA, NC
How many monitors are you planning to use?
Do you need peripherals? OS?
Not sure what that is...
Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
My other pc isn't going to last any longer...it's only been 2 yrs.

Edited by Gail25, 16 January 2016 - 05:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

You will have to make up your mind on desktop or laptop- we can't choose for you.
Peripherals are monitor, keyboard etc.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:02 PM

Would you be willing to build your own PC? That can cut costs a lot. Also, will you need an Operating System key (like Windows), or do you have a spare key lying around?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 ljohnson588

ljohnson588

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

My first suggestion would be to determine if you want a desktop or a laptop. What type of computer do you currently have? if you have a desktop, then you would not necessarily need to have a new monitor unless you needed one. Once you decide which type of computer you want, then we can help you determine what might work best for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users