Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect/No operating system found

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

I tried using Macrium Reflect.  I imaged my partitions (Windows 7 and its repair partition).  When the partitions are restored, it says, "No operating system found" when it boots.  Is there a way to fix it?  I think it would be either something with creating the images or restoring them, or maybe some combination of both?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

Did you back up to DVD or to an external drive? Did you backup only the two partitions as Windows 7 also has a 100MB System Reserved partition.

If you install Macrium on another computer you can verify the image and also explore the image by double clicking it in Explorer. When you run Macrium in another computer open the image by using the Restore Wizard. Can you post a screenshot of Macrium showing the image it will restore? I would like to see what partitions are in the image. Obviously, do not restore the image to the computer.

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

Thank-you, for your response.

1. Image file is on a hard drive.

2.  Repair partition=System Reserved partition (that's what I meant)

3.  All involves one computer.

4.  Considering #2 above, do you still need the screen shot?

5.  Some other things to consider:  I have used Macrium in the past on the same machine and with Windows 7 and it worked without any hitch and I did it the same way.  This is a new install of Windows 7.  I tried re-doing both the image and restore with the same result.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

No need for the screen shot but I don't understand why the restore failed. Have you tried doing a backup offline using the bootable media Macrium creates?

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

I created the image from an external drive using the machine that the external HD is a copy of.

I tried restoring 2 ways:  1) to an external HD with the internal HD containing the image, and 2) with the target drive as an internal HD using the CD and an external HD containing the image.

Both had the same result.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

You restored with the CD but did you also backup the image with the CD and not from within Windows? 

I created the image from an external drive using the machine that the external HD is a copy of : Can you explain further. Do you mean you created a image from a cloned disk?

You restored to an external HD? This would allow you to boot from USB? I have never done this.

#7 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:54 AM

"You restored with the CD but did you also backup the image with the CD and not from within Windows?"

I created the image within Windows, but it was not within the Windows that was being imaged.  The original Windows partitions that I imaged were on the external drive and thus not running (and, yes, the original boots when internal).  That is usually how I do it, and it has always worked...except for this time.

"Can you explain further. Do you mean you created a image from a cloned disk?"

No, not from a cloned disk, but from the original.  Like I said, Macrium worked before, and my working drive is made from that original image.  I am trying to keep the original drive protected because I do not have install disks, so currently, I am trying to create a 2nd copy to have ready in case something ever happens to the working copy.  I am creating the 2nd image from the original drive, the same way I made the 1st  (i.e., 3 drives--a) original that I am being careful with, b ) 1st copy, which is currently my working copy, c) 2nd copy, which will be a backup copy on the ready) .  If you are wondering why I just don't use the first image that I used to create the working drive, it is because when I tried that, it got the above message.  That is when I tried making and restoring it again and with the same result.  Of course, I am also concerned about no longer being able to restore working images.

"You restored to an external HD? This would allow you to boot from USB? I have never done this."

No.  The booting is done after the external drive is put in (internal).

(BTW---not related to my issue, but in response to part of your question---I have booted an external drive through USB.  It does work.  It happened by accident once a couple years ago.  I forgot to unplug it, and when I happened to reboot, I was like, "where's all my stuff???   Ohhhhh, haha, it booted the external one".)

Thanks.

Edited by ray5450, 17 January 2016 - 04:01 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Have you verified the image in Macrium and can you mount the image file and explore the contents? You may want to try cloning the disk instead of doing it with images. I would clone offline using the bootable CD. 

I am not sure why Macrium is failing though. When you get an Operating System not found error I am assuming this after attaching the newly imaged drive into the computer and trying to boot. When you get this error, go into UEFI/BIOS and see if your drive is detected. It is is detected then with a System Repair Disk do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three tries. A Operating System not found error can be due to missing boot files. 

I would like a screen shot of the Macrium Windows showing the partitions to be restored if possible. 

#9 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:49 AM

Thanks, again for your help.

1. Yes, I am able to explore the contents.

2. I am utilizing the image option instead of cloning in order to fit the image partitions into a slightly smaller physical partition.  Otherwise, I would have to move a huge amount of files from an existing 3rd partition to another drive and then back again (and yes, I have a backup copy of those files).  Like I said, this has worked fine before both with this machine and others I have had.  Further, I want to "survive" if anything ever happens to the original drive that was imaged.  (By the way, the original drive was originally installed to this machine.)

3.  This machine BIOS does not show anything about the disk, other than the boot order.  I am able to use List Disk and List Partition in Diskpart to confirm detection of the drive.

Here is the story so far...trial and error at its best:

4.  After image is created and verified, Macrium says that it created successfully and verified successfully.

5.  After image is restored onto  2 primary partitions that I created and formatted, Macrium says image was restored successfully.

6. When booting with restored image, it says "Operating system not found".

7. When I boot with the Windows repair CD and choose Repair, it says "Attempting Repairs".

8. When finished, it has a place to show "Details".  There it says the Tests that it performed, and at the end says:

"Root cause found

The partition table does not have a valid system partition.

Repair Action:  Partition table repair".

9.  Upon rebooting, the Windows 7 logo appears, but then a black and white screen statement appears and says:

"Autochk program not found-Stopping Autocheck."

10.  After a couple seconds, a blue screen appears and says:

"c000021a  Fatal System Error

The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000)  The system has been shut down"

11. If I reboot to the repair CD again and choose Repair again, it says:

"Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.  [Send/Don't send]"

12  Under the above message (#11), there is a place to show Problem Details, which says:

"Problem signature 01  6.1.7600.16385

Problem signature 02  6.1.7600.16385

Problem signature 03  Unknown

Problem signature 04  7 **(see note below)

Problem signature 05  External media.

Problem signature 06  1

Problem signature 07  No root cause"

**(Note:  I have repeated this whole procedure x2--3 total--with the same results thus confirmed.  The first time, I did not notice this extra information.  The 3rd time, all was the same except the 04 line said 8 and instead of 7.)

14.  At this time, I notice that the Repair created an additional 100mb partition in some empty unallocated space (now there are 2 100mb partitions, including the one I created).

15.  Next, I delete that extra partition, and reformat the 2 partitions that I previously created and restored to.

16.  I restore the partitions again.

17. On boot, it works.

18. If I skip the repair CD steps (7-14) and only reformat and restore, it will still say "Operating system not found".

Obviously, I would like to reduce the above to one step/one boot as it should be.  Any ideas?

(Given the above, I am not sure if you still need the screen shot--let me know.)

Edited by ray5450, 20 January 2016 - 04:20 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

I missed your post, sorry.

When restoring an image to a drive, you do not need to create and format partitions. Restore the image to a blank hard drive. Macrium will format and create the partitions automatically. For some reason, after restoring the image, no boot files are found which are supposed to be in the 100 MB partition. If you get two 100MB partitions after the restore it's possible the empty one is being marked active thus causing the error.

I would also do a disk diagnostic on the drive using Seatools for Windows or DOS.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 January 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#11 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

The Seagate tools has several test options.  Which ones should I choose?  Thanks.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

Do the short and long generic tests.

How to use Seatools for Windows

Seatools for DOS tutorial

#13 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

1. Short generic test=PASS.  Long generic test=PASS.

2.  "If you get two 100MB partitions after the restore it's possible the empty one is being marked active thus causing the error."
The "No operating system found" error occurs before the 2nd 100mb partition gets created.

3. I have used Macrium for a couple years and have always created the partitions myself and it always worked fine.  I didn't know there was any other way. After deleting the partitions,  I tried dragging and dropping the image partitions to the blank space, and doggone, it worked.

Thanks, again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users