Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer shutting down after playing games on ULTRA settings.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dimerexfloyd

dimerexfloyd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Hi there! this is my first topic here! So, hello everyone!

I'm having a problem , everytime I play games on ULTRA settings the PC shuts down after 1 hour , sometimes less of gameplay.But when I set the settings down it runs for hours with no problems.

Here are my PC specs:

Mother board : M5a99fx Pro R2.0 Amd 990fx/sb950 Am3/am3+
R
am memory : Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb (2 X 8gb) Ddr3 1866mhz
C
PU : Fx-8350 4.0 Ghz Am3+ Amd
GPU : GTX 970 4gb ASUS TURBO oc
P
SU : Corsair RM850 PLUS gold -850w

The highest temperature my CPU reaches is 65/67 Cº ... So I'm not really sure that this is a heating problem.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

Is your gpu overheating?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

Definitely sounds like a thermal issue.  65-67 C is hot!.  I get nervous if my CPU goes over 45 C.

That FX-8350 has 125w TDP.  My I7-5820K is 140w TDP and with my GTX 960 on max settings my CPU never goes over 42C.  Case/Mobo temps never go over about 37-38 C. 

With your temps, I wouldn't rule out thermal shutdown on the CPU.

What make/size case do you have?  (mid tower, full tower?).

How many and what size case fans do you have?

What heatsink/fan on the CPU?

Unless you are seriously overclocking your GTX 970, are have very poor air flow in your case, I doubt the video card is over heating.  The 900 series nvidia cards all have pretty darn good cooling and that ASUS turbo oc 970 has the funky blower type cooler that expels all the hot air out the rear of the video card and out of the computer case.  The specific cooler design on that card received great ratings in all the tests, so I don't think it is the GTX over heating.

#4 dimerexfloyd

dimerexfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hi there! thanks for helping me!
Well..My GPU gets 75C° tops ..never go hotter than that.
I do think my CPU cooler is kinda lame for the 8350 , its a Cooler master blizzard T2.
For the airflow I only have one to take the heat from the CPU cooler out of the case.
Maybe I should get a better cooler for my GPU...I'm thinking about buying a watercooler but only if is really necessary...or maybe buy some more fans to help the airflow ..my case is a cougar gamer Mx300.. don't know if its a Large or medium size..As you may notice I'm not very good at this hahahaha...

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

I would buy good quality case fans and go from there.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

I would suggest a new CPU cooler and more case fans.

That T2 only has 2 heat pipes and a 92mm fan.  Based on the physical design, the several reviews I went and checked out confirm my suspicions.  It's not a great performer under load.

Not knowing what your budget is like, I would suggest the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040

That's the same cooler I use.  Even under heavy load it is dead silent and it cools great.  The "S" model is the slim model so it will clear memory easily.   It comes with mounting hardware to put another 120mm fan on the other side of the heatsink if you wanted to.

As for the case, that Cougar case has lots of options for fans.  I would put two 120mm intake fans in the front and leave the single rear 120mm as exhaust.   Mount the PSU with the fan on the bottom so it draws it's own, cool air from outside.  This will give you better air flow and a positive case pressure.

My personal preference is to avoid water cooling.  If you like that sort of thing, that's up to you.  Liquid cooling is really only going to be necessary if you are into overclocking.  If you intend to leave the settings at stock, there is no need for it.  Liquid cooling gets expensive and has it's own set of issues to deal with.

Edited by Ram4x4, 18 January 2016 - 10:17 AM.

#7 dimerexfloyd

dimerexfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

I would suggest a new CPU cooler and more case fans.

That T2 only has 2 heat pipes and a 92mm fan.  Based on the physical design, the several reviews I went and checked out confirm my suspicions.  It's not a great performer under load.

Not knowing what your budget is like, I would suggest the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040

That's the same cooler I use.  Even under heavy load it is dead silent and it cools great.  The "S" model is the slim model so it will clear memory easily.   It comes with mounting hardware to put another 120mm fan on the other side of the heatsink if you wanted to.

As for the case, that Cougar case has lots of options for fans.  I would put two 120mm intake fans in the front and leave the single rear 120mm as exhaust.   Mount the PSU with the fan on the bottom so it draws it's own, cool air from outside.  This will give you better air flow and a positive case pressure.

My personal preference is to avoid water cooling.  If you like that sort of thing, that's up to you.  Liquid cooling is really only going to be necessary if you are into overclocking.  If you intend to leave the settings at stock, there is no need for it.  Liquid cooling gets expensive and has it's own set of issues to deal with.

Hey man thank you very much for the help! I was thinking on buying this exact same aircooler but the version with 2 fans....but around here the price for it is the same price for a good watercooler...so I'm thinking on buying a watercooler next month.. But I'm going to buy those fans today to make a good airflow like you told me .I think this will help me a lot untill I get my watercooler..Thanks again for the help! I'll post something when I get my fans and set them properly in my case , let's see if it will helps!

#8 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

Which water cooler set up are you considering?  Compare it to the Noctua cooler performance.  Many people are surprised to find that many of the water cooler set ups don't do as well as some of the good heat sinks/fans.

Like I said, liquid cooling brings its own set of issues to deal with...like leaks, water pumps that you have to make sure are working every time you start your PC, etc.

"Good" water cooling loops are pricey. 

Also make sure you use good thermal paste and apply it correctly.

I personally like the Gelid Extreme paste. 

There are metallic pastes out now too that have the best performance, but they are electrically conductive, and NOT for use on aluminum.  Personal opinion is that they aren't worth the mess and hassles and cost.

Edited by Ram4x4, 18 January 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#9 dimerexfloyd

dimerexfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

Which water cooler set up are you considering?  Compare it to the Noctua cooler performance.  Many people are surprised to find that many of the water cooler set ups don't do as well as some of the good heat sinks/fans.

Like I said, liquid cooling brings its own set of issues to deal with...like leaks, water pumps that you have to make sure are working every time you start your PC, etc.

"Good" water cooling loops are pricey. 

Also make sure you use good thermal paste and apply it correctly.

I personally like the Gelid Extreme paste. 

There are metallic pastes out now too that have the best performance, but they are electrically conductive, and NOT for use on aluminum.  Personal opinion is that they aren't worth the mess and hassles and cost.

I was thinking about Corsair H80i , its not that expensive and it works pretty well from what I heard.
And yeah..The watercooler can be messy if something goes wrong with it...at least the aircooler its easy to know rather is working poperly or not..I really wanted to buy the Noctua NH-D14 ...this cooler is a monster..but I don't think that it will fit my case because is just gigantic..
And about the thermal paste , I use Thermal Silver.. Don't know if its the best one but I never had a problem with it..I might try the Gelid Extreme..

#10 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, the DH-14 is 140mm fans and a large heat sink, that's why I recommended the 12S with 120mm sized fan.  It should fit in your case.

Go read up on the H80i tests....several air coolers beat it at half the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users