Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

any new improved tech to help transfer files safely to a new computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seraphin

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

If my computer is infected, what is the best way to back up personal documents like photos, doc, pdf, jpg or even avi/mpg files?

Found a similar post in 2010

and it said that CD/DVD seems safer to transfer files while an external HD is a bad idea. But I have > 100 GB files (non-executable files) to transfer. Do we have a better technology now to help the transfer them in a safer way ?

Any tip will be appreciated. Thank you all.

newly added: is it SAFE to move my files to cloud space ????? "Safe" in the sense that trojan/virus/malware don't get to my cloud space so after I clean up my computer, I could just move the files back down from the cloud ??

Edited by seraphin, 16 January 2016 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,739 posts
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:10 AM

That information is still applicable in regards to backing up your personal data.

Using an external HD is not a bad idea. As I explained...External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. I'm not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.

With the available of cloud storage, that now is another option as long as you are not backing up files with potentially dangerous or fake file extensions.If you're going to use a cloud backup, use one that provides strong encryption, includes versioning and does not utilize a drive letter.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users