Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Surface Pro 3 not waking/turning on correctly, gives black screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheAdminFox

TheAdminFox

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

OK. This is my first major post. I will try to give you as much info as possible.

I have a recurring issue with my Surface Pro 3 that started about a week ago and happened 3-4 times already.

The Issue

What my issue is with my surface is that when I go to wake it up so I can do a search or some work, it presents me with a black screen. I have a keyboard cover for it and that will light up, and I can tell the screen's backlight turns on as well, but like I said its just displays a black screen. When I hold the power button to perform an "hard shutdown" then my lock screen image shows up with the "slide to shutdown" message. When I slide to perform the shutdown, it just disappears and does nothing and when I hold the power button again it shows back up.

What I have done to try to fix it

• What I have been doing to "fix" the issue is perform the "hard shutdown" and boot back up by pressing the power button for 2 seconds, any longer and it refuses to turn on. However the keyboard keys will light up for a short bit when I hold for longer than 2 seconds.
  • Since it was an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10, I decided to back up my data and perform a fresh install of Windows 10 in an effort to both solve the problem, and get full performance, since MS upgrade procedures kinda make your system a little slower than a fresh install straight to 10 in this case.
  • I have installed all the drivers that were supplied from Microsoft's website onto my Surface to make sure they were up to date on the latest version.

After the re-install, driver updates, and Windows updates, the issue has occurred once again...

What I've gathered about the issue

I've looked through the event logs and spotted some events of drivers failing to load around the time of the issue's occurrence. I'm thinking that these may be the cause of the issue, but I don't know what anything means in the event details. I have saved them but I am unable to upload them due to the .evtx files being rejected....forum policy I'm assuming. Should I post the XML data?

If you need more info, let me know and I will do my best to supply it.

Thank you for your help,

- TheAdminFox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

You can't upload unknown file types.  But you can zip them up, and then upload the zip files.

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TheAdminFox

TheAdminFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

usasma,

I have done the two things you have asked. I have included the resulting .ZIP files in this reply.

More to add to this situation: as I was running BSOD Inspector, I had to install a specific version of .NET since I didn't have it at the time. While I ran the .NET update it just sat there for about 5 to 8 mins doing nothing and not progressing, so I decided to restart. My tablet decided it needed to do updates and the same thing happened, it just sat there on "preparing for updates" for a good 15 to 20 mins. I decided the updates were doing anything either and I performed a hard shutdown again...I now notice a repeat of some of the events I saw and mentioned earlier. The Admin.ZIP file contains the saved events that takes place AFTER this happened, so it should be the most recent as of now. I did get the .NET installed after the "restart" and ran the BSOD inspector again, and have included the results of that as well in this reply.

Thank you.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

I see possible app problems, possible OS problems, and possible BIOS problems in the Admin Event Log
These are just impressions, not firm diagnosis'

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 3.11.0950) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
Many recent errors with Windows Update in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

On 18 Jan 2016 you had a STOP 0x15C BSOD event.
Please check to see if there are any MEMORY.dmp files in the C:\Windows directory.
If so, please zip it up and upload it to a free file-hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox)) then post a link to it here.

Please don't use disk cleaning utilities (such as CCleaner) while we're troubleshooting.  It may delete some of the reports that we need.

Also, let's try to force a BSOD and see if it'll tell use what's to blame.
To do this, please run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheAdminFox

TheAdminFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

Ok I have looked around for a UEFI/BIOS update for my Surface Tablet and haven't had much luck with finding anything newer.

As for Windows Update, I checked the box for other updates for other Microsoft products. All I got for total updates was for Windows Defender. I did however, had to fix an error that Windows Update was giving me after checking that box. But that didn't give me any additional updates at this time.

As for the Memory.dmp files, there are none to be found at this time in the C:\Windows Directory.

I have not used CCleaner yet and I will refrain from doing so until it is said to be safe to do so. Thank you for letting me know.

I used the Driver Verifier and got a BSOD before reaching the login. I disabled it in safe mode after a couple reboots and still no Memory.dmp files to be seen.   :(

Thank you for your help thus far, I will await your next reply.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

Please check in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and see if there's a minidump file there from the Driver Verifier.

Also, please run the reports again - they may give evidence of the Driver Verifier BSOD (and they should automatically collect any memory dump from the Minidump folder if there are any).

I suspect that there's a hardware problem here, but am not certain about it.

If it is hardware, you'll have to send it in for repair.

In the meantime, if you have anything connected externally to the system, please remove it while we're testing.

This'll help to ensure that the errors come from the system and not from any external device.

Edited by usasma, 20 January 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#7 TheAdminFox

TheAdminFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

I do not happen to see the minidump folder at all... which is odd - at least to me. I checked my dump settings in control panel>System and Security>System>Advanced System Settings and it looks like it is already set for an automatic memory dump to "%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP". The only thing I did to it is I checked the box that said "disable automatic deletion of memory dumps when disk space gets low". I have 36GB free on my 64GB SSD in my tablet, so it shouldn't make a difference, but maybe it will help with the memory dumps not showing?

As for reports, you mean by uploading the administrative events, right? If so I will include an updated event list in this reply, just in case.

Until then, I will await your next reply.

Attached Files

#8 Storemahmail

Storemahmail

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

Just as an FYI, I appear to have the same problem in my surface pro 3 with Windows 10.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:04 AM

Storemahmail - your problem may not be the same.  It may just resemble the same problem where it's visible.

Feel free to follow this topic, but if you want specific troubleshooting advice, please start a topic of your own.

TheAdminFox - you had another BSOD again yesterday and the system couldn't initialize the crash dump again.

The only other thing that I can think of is to reinstall W8 "clean" and see if that stops it.
Beyond that, my impression is that this is a hardware/compatibility/low-level driver issue - and you'll have to send it to the service center to get it repaired.

Good luck!

#10 TheAdminFox

TheAdminFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

OK, I will revert to Win 8.1 (for just 8 does not get security updates anymore) from Win 10 and see if that helps. I will post back in a few days max with the results.

Thank you for all your help!

- TheAdminFox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users