Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't turn on (Not a noob question)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 champton

champton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

First off, I'd like to begin by informing you that I'm not some noob that comes to these forums expecting to be spoonfed information without at least TRYING to fix it myself.  I do know basic troubleshooting steps, and I've tried everything I'm aware of before coming here.

Here's my computer specs:

AMD A10 7900K Quad Core APU @ 3.9GHz w/ integrated ATI Radeon R7 graphics adapter

16GB G-Skill Ares PC3-19200 DDR3 RAM

Biostar A58MD Motherboard

Seagate 500GB hard drive (Sorry, don't know the model)

Integrated sound card (probably Realtek?  All I know is that it's junk compared to what you can get from Creative, LOL!)

That said, the problem I'm having with my computer is very simple:  It won't turn on.  Nothing happens when I push the Power button.  The problem started when I was playing Path of Exile last night.  All of a sudden, my PC would shut down, so I turned it back on.  It would stay on, but only for a couple seconds.  Not wanting to push the system any further, I left it alone for a couple days.

Now it should be noted that I started off using the dinky old 450w power supply that came with my old computer.  (It was an old Pentium D from back in 2003.  Yeah, I know, that was a BIG mistake using such an underpowered PSU, I should've known better, blablabla, but it was the only thing I had, and it worked - all that happened was I would get occasional BSODs, probably from the PSU being so weak.)  I thought the PSU had finally had enough, and went belly-up (which I knew would eventually happen since it was basically underpowered to begin with), so I went to get a more powerful 800-watt PSU.  (My Google searches turned up information saying you need at least a 750w PSU for the CPU to run efficiently, so this one was well within the minimum standards.)  Still nothing.

I thought Oh no, I blew the motherboard or CPU (because I've heard of that happening every so often), so I decided to try my old motherboard and CPU, which I know worked great.  Still nothing.  So at this point, I've tried 2 different PSUs, 2 different motherboards, and 2 different PSUs, none of which have fixed my problem.  I am now drawing a blank here.  The only thing I haven't really tried yet is a different case, and that's only because I don't have a spare case lying around.  I'm thinking the power button itself might be shot - this case was the same one that ran my old PC, and it is now at least 12 years old.  (Yes, I do have the plug for the power switch on the corresponding pins on the motherboard.  I know I'm stupid when it comes to fixing computers, but I'm not *that* stupid.)  The power plugs and outlets are all working fine - my monitor receives power from both power plugs I have connected to my system.

Can anyone make any other suggestions for what to try before I end up throwing this computer in the effing dumpster?

Edited by champton, 16 January 2016 - 01:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums as they'll have more experience with this:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users