Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blank screen at logon - Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wrathchild

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

I'm having an issue with an HP Pavilion with Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) and I'm hoping you can help. At logon, any of the accounts that are Standard accounts are logging off immediately. An account set as Administrator can log in, but I get a black screen with just a mouse pointer.

I can start the Task Manager and start a new task. If I run "explorer.exe" my desktop loads fine and the computer is once again usable. (Administrator account only, obviously, since Standard accounts log off immediately.) All other functionality seems to be fine: shared drives are available on the network, external drives are accessible, etc.

This is what I've done so far, with no luck:

• Rebooted with all peripherals disconnected
  • CHKDSK found 0 bad sectors
  • Ran full scans with both Malwarebytes and Avast. Malwarebytes found a few old adware keys in my registry but otherwise the machine is clean.
  • Ran "sfc /scannow". No discrepancies found.
  • Ran the "repair" option from a Windows 7 install/upgrade disk. No issues found.
  • In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon the value for Shell is "explorer.exe" with no other items.
  • Using msconfig, there doesn't appear to be anything in "Start" that shouldn't be there.
  • Thinking it may have been an update (there was an update which was applied on 14-Jan) I removed all of the updates.
  • Considering there might be a corrupted user profile, I created a new user (Administrator). Same symptoms.

If I boot into Safe Mode I get a desktop, icons, task bar, etc.

I would prefer not reinstalling Windows if it's avoidable. I also cannot upgrade this system to Windows 10.

What else can I try?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 January 2016 - 04:18 PM.
moved from BSOD to Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wrathchild

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

Well, I ran the Windows Repair (All in One) tool <http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/> and it seemed to fix my issue, although I don't know exactly what it fixed.

#3 blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Sorry for the delay. Glad to hear that the tool fixed your problem. Thanks for letting us know!

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users