I'm having an issue with an HP Pavilion with Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) and I'm hoping you can help. At logon, any of the accounts that are Standard accounts are logging off immediately. An account set as Administrator can log in, but I get a black screen with just a mouse pointer.
I can start the Task Manager and start a new task. If I run "explorer.exe" my desktop loads fine and the computer is once again usable. (Administrator account only, obviously, since Standard accounts log off immediately.) All other functionality seems to be fine: shared drives are available on the network, external drives are accessible, etc.
This is what I've done so far, with no luck:
- Rebooted with all peripherals disconnected
- CHKDSK found 0 bad sectors
- Ran full scans with both Malwarebytes and Avast. Malwarebytes found a few old adware keys in my registry but otherwise the machine is clean.
- Ran "sfc /scannow". No discrepancies found.
- Ran the "repair" option from a Windows 7 install/upgrade disk. No issues found.
- In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon the value for Shell is "explorer.exe" with no other items.
- Using msconfig, there doesn't appear to be anything in "Start" that shouldn't be there.
- Thinking it may have been an update (there was an update which was applied on 14-Jan) I removed all of the updates.
- Considering there might be a corrupted user profile, I created a new user (Administrator). Same symptoms.
If I boot into Safe Mode I get a desktop, icons, task bar, etc.
I would prefer not reinstalling Windows if it's avoidable. I also cannot upgrade this system to Windows 10.
What else can I try?
Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 January 2016 - 04:18 PM.
moved from BSOD to Windows 7