Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will require Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will require Windows 10

In a change to its longstanding support policy, Microsoft says PCs based on new CPU architectures, including Intel's Skylake chips, will require Windows 10. A list of preferred systems will support older Windows versions on new hardware, but only for 18 months.

By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report |

January 15, 2016 -- 18:30 GMT (10:30 PST) | Topic: Enterprise Software

SOURCE: Microsoft updates support policy: New CPUs will require Windows 10 | ZDNet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a concern of Linux users. I did a brief search to find what Linux developers are doing concerning the new CPUs.

I was happy to see that they are on top of it.

Linux Kernel 4.3 brings Intel Skylake and open source Nvidia support- The Inquirer

QUOTE a bit from the link above:

LINUS TORVALDS has confirmed the stable release of Linux Kernel 4.3 containing several significant enhancements and 20.6 million lines of code, more than it took to get the Curiosity Rover safely to Mars.

The figure has jumped from 19.5 million in just six months, showing that growth is happening at a phenomenal rate. Over 14,000 authors are working on the code, according to figures from Michael Larabel at Phoronix, who estimates that 4.4 will hit the 21 million line mark.

Two significant improvements have been integrated in what Larabel described as "a calm release cycle": a reworked open source support platform for Nvidia graphics cards and support for Intel's latest 6th Generation Skylake processors.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:06 PM

See also this topic.  :wink:

Greets!

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

No this will have no effect on linux

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

Typical underhanded sneaky way for MS to force more people onto Windows 10.

It wont affect Linux.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

It wont affect Linux.

Correct, if it ever does happen that Microsoft can force windows it would cause so many lawsuits it would not even be funny

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:05 AM

While interesting, the way it reads to me is "Microsoft will be dropping the older silicon from the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) in Windows 10",  basically any improvements the newer CPU offers is included, but at some point they are shifting their base level.  Similar to say dropping SPARC support (yes, I know Windows doesn't support SPARC cpus).

Agree with the rest of you "won't affect Linux", although I'd be cautious in saying "shouldn't" instead of "won't".  Older CPU support won't go away (we still have 32 bit distros), the concern would be how friendly the CPU makers will be to the open source community with providing specs.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:07 AM

Intel is actually quite committed to open source, is more arm and AMD where things get murky

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:38 AM

It wont affect Linux.

+1! :thumbup2:

Us Linux enthusiasts will not allow this to get us down, or lose a night's sleep over this nonsense. 

Correct, if it ever does happen that Microsoft can force windows it would cause so many lawsuits it would not even be funny

MadmanRB, you have a point there, class action lawsuits will happen, plus the FTC may look into these tactics to see what's really cooking behind the scenes. How can it be explained that out of the blue, that Microsoft, Intel, AMD & Qualcomm have joined forces to create their own version of the New World Order? There's likely some serious cash exchanging hands somewhere, the latter three all are competing among one another & now they all unify on an idea? 

If these were Wall Street players all on the same page, there would be an immediate Congressional investigation. They've done it with athletes regarding steroid use, the housing loan lenders & brokers, and others. This is a open & shut case of a monopoly in the works. I believe that Microsoft is really pushing it's limits to the fullest here, and there will eventually be a stink over it. 

So if these CPU's are to be locked into Windows 10, then what will future gen Apple/Google computers be built on? Apple isn't going for this & neither will Google, the latter of which has the cash to outright buy Microsoft & shut it down. 

This 'update support policy' is riddled with bullet holes on both moral & legal sides of the table, stacked against consumers. The time to stand up & take action is now, not 5 years from now after the cash trail has disappeared, and for all of these corporations to band together, would require a great amount of, more so under the table than on top. Intel & AMD has been enemies for years, why would that change now? One answer to that is, AMD needs a major cash infusion & now. Qualcomm will never be a major player in the desktop PC market (other than maybe wireless chipsets), so they need some as well. 

The bottom line is, this is no different than the fixing of prices by two or more corporations, which is illegal in the US & a Federal crime. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:56 AM

So if these CPU's are to be locked into Windows 10, then what will future gen Apple/Google computers be built on? Apple isn't going for this & neither will Google, the latter of which has the cash to outright buy Microsoft & shut it down. 

Cat

Cat, this part sounds backwards.  It's not that the CPUs will only be able to run Windows 10, it's that "Windows 10 will support these CPUs and newer".  Again, it's that Microsoft has decided to drop support for older hardware.

What it does imply is that if you are currently running Windows 7/8 on a CPU that will be dropped from Windows 10, then the nagware trying to get you to install Windows 10 is stupid and should not show up in your updates.  One would think that with all the telemetry MS has added to the "Windows Updater to enhance the consumer experience" they should be able to tell your computer will not run Windows 10.  Now, if there is collusion between CPU makers and MS to force Windows 10 and then force you to purchase new hardware, that's different.

Another aspect of this is:

New CPU support will not be backported from from Windows 10 to Windows 7/8.  The implication here is that the new CPUs may run Windows 7 just fine, but Windows 7 will not be able to take advantage of the "new and improved!!!" features in the CPU.

Software and hardware force each other to evolve.  Hardware has certain capacity, software eventually uses it up and wants more.  Hardware evolves to have excess capacity, software catches up.  Go look at the "minimum hardware requirements" for each version of Windows;  more memory required, more storage, better graphics, CPU class goes up.

Kind of like how personal spending typically expands to meet ones income;  get a raise?  Spend more.   :)

Edited by mremski, 17 January 2016 - 08:15 AM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

It's not that the CPUs will only be able to run Windows 10, it's that "Windows 10 will support these CPUs and newer".  Again, it's that Microsoft has decided to drop support for older hardware.

When Windows 10 first came out MS said it was free for the life of the device,  they decide how long the life of the device is.  In my opinion I can see the life of the device being about 5 years.

Next big thing will be charging for updates.

We are Microsoft. Do not bother to lower your firewalls as we have many back doors to your PC. We already have your credit card details,  We will add your life savings  to our own bank account . Your culture will adapt to service us.  Windows 10 will be installed on your PC regardless of what you say. Resistance is futile.

bill-gates-borg.gif

Edited by NickAu, 17 January 2016 - 03:41 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

Microsoft will most likely do the same thing in 2025 when Windows 10 reaches end of life. I have Windows 8 and that will be the last Windows OS I own. I talked this over with my son and he will be doing the same after end of Windows 7 support. 

Typical Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade notice. Depressing isn't it. Some people are faced with this when checking for Windows 7 updates: no other option.

windows-10-upgrade.jpg

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Well that was entertaining AND depressing, thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Microsoft will most likely do the same thing in 2025 when Windows 10 reaches end of life. I have Windows 8 and that will be the last Windows OS I own. I talked this over with my son and he will be doing the same after end of Windows 7 support. 

Typical Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade notice. Depressing isn't it. Some people are faced with this when checking for Windows 7 updates: no other option.

windows-10-upgrade.jpg

Remove and hide updates: 

3035583 (this is a key one)

If they get reissued, you will have to rehide them.  Don't download/install automatically, just "notify".

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

windows-10-upgrade.jpg

I seen that box a couple of times & simply closed it. 

Also, there's a page where one can visit & follow the instructions to remove the Telemetry updates (including a .bat file that has to be Ran as Administrator), and from then on out, don't install any non-security related Windows Updates, Google search each one, a link is provided to do so. :)

Be sure to carefully follow the rest of the instructions, some tasks will require manual deletion. 

http://techne.alaya.net/?p=12499

Here's the .bat file for those who doesn't see it. 

Alternately, here is a .bat file to run the above commands. It must be run in an elevated command prompt. (Don’t forget to reboot afterwards. You can proceed to finish the next steps before rebooting.)

The only thing I didn't do was the blacklisting of the sites listed, because there was no option to do it for all computers on the network within my Linksys EA4500 (N900) wireless router. It's one by one & I have 8 computers, not counting any that I've worked on shown in the list, under 'Parental Controls' Couldn't find an entire network wide way to do this. 

Once all of this is done & after reboot, it'll appear as though the computer hasn't been updated, this is normal. Should one have trouble updating afterwards, open Services & restart Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). Be sure to hide all of these updates, once removed, they'll show right back to install. It'll take 4-5 rounds of checking to block all. 

This gets rid of all of the Telemetry garbage from Windows 7 & 8.1, and if the Windows 10 icon is in the Notification area, it'll disappear. 

Yet that screen at the top is nagware only. I've closed it a few times recently & all was OK. Windows 10 cannot be forced upon anyone. And like mremski points out, set updates to notify only. This prevents the downloading of unwanted updates. :)

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 18 January 2016 - 07:08 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

Post#11, it should be possible to remove that by getting rid of KB3035583, KB3044374 and a few others then making sure to clear out any traces of gwx still lurking in the system. But it's a warning of where the attempts to push win 10 are going towards.

Post#14, "Windows 10 cannot be forced upon anyone..."
So far the closest that has happened to forcing is the prompt shown in the image here, but it can be closed and should be possible to remove entirely by removing certain updates, however remember what happened with windows 8 and 8.1, remember how that upgrade was done forcibly? It was made possible by an update ms distributed called KB2871389 and also KB2973544, there is no technical barrier to another update with similar effects by sent out which could forcibly "upgrade" windows 7 or 8.1 machines to 10, if the update had no description then no-one would know in advance what it did, it could perhaps then be programmed to do the same thing for every PC around the world that it was on at exactly the same time, it might not get everyone, some people might have refused the update based on it's lack of description, but it would get a lot of people. And the really concerning thing is that there have been a few circumstances in the past (from back in the xp days) where ms somehow made machines update where updates had been turned off or set to notify only by the user, this could perhaps happen again.

Edited by rp88, 18 January 2016 - 02:07 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users