Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant get into my external Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iceschlie

iceschlie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

I am running a windows 7 computer with a SSD and internal hard drive set up.  I have an external hard drive plugged into my USB port but when I open my computer I cant access it.  I thought it would have shown up as a letter drive or at least I could see it in my devices/removable storage.  Neither populate.  

When I right click on my computer, it does show up in "device manager/disc drives" and disc management disc 2 (I think).

so, I am clearly not telling it what I need it to do.  When I go into the top box in disc management and try to assign it a letter path it is all grayed out. 

Please share with me wth you think my next step is in setting this up on my computer.  I would like to assign it a letter path or at least be able to pull files out or drag them in.

OR.... have I lost my files and is the disc empty?   
I am posting a pic of my disc management.  Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this I am sure easy problem to correct.

exteranal_zpspk3qdk0e.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

You need to assign drive letters to the partitions. This can be done through the command prompt of diskpart. Make sure you are working with the correct volume numbers. You can tell by the partition sizes.

I have not used Aoemi Partition assistant to change volume letters but you can do it graphically as shown here. Click on the partition of the Disk and then follow the steps.

#3 vershamittal

vershamittal

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

May be your external hard drive is corrupted or gone something wrong. If you want to pull out your files from disk then you need to take this for data recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users