Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender will not turn back on.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

I just uninstalled Mcafee Security Suite following their instructions for Win 10.  I now can not get Defender to turn back on.

I get a pop up saying another program is disableing Defender.

I was not aware Emsisoft would block/disable Defender. At the moment Emsisoft is the only security program I have left running.

Any ideas?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program...in your case McAfee Security Suite probably disabled it to begin with. However, uninstalling McAfee was not enough. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection...EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus. Windows Defender will remain disabled until that EAM has been completely uninstalled.

After removal of the third party anti-virus, Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus Defender should automatically turn on. In some cases you may receive a message indicating your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.

Since you are using Emsisoft, there is no need for Windows Defender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

Thank you I had forgotten that emsisoft also had an av element.  I knew Mcafee would turn it off just like Avast or any of the others, just forgot emsisoft would also.

Again my thanks.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

No problem. Although Emsisoft Anti-Malware is still pretty much compatible with other anti-virus software, I suspect it has more to do with how Microsoft built Windows Defender allowing it to be easily disabled.

Windows Defender: 7 Things You Must Know

If you do install a third-party tool, Windows Defender will probably realize it and automatically disable itself. However, there are some cases where it doesnt play nicely, so youll need to disable Windows Defender on your own.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users