Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Not Turning On Anymore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BC2014

BC2014

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:59 AM

Hi all,

Main problem

One of my family members made a laptop adapter fall to the ground by accident, and now there is a big crack in the outer plastic of the adapter. The laptop won't turn on anymore. Not with adapter or with battery on its own.

Laptop model

Laptop: MSI Megabook GX-700. Model MS-1719.

DC Rating: 19V. 4.74A.

Did I buy the right replacement adapter?

So I replaced the cracked adapter by a new one, thinking the problem would be solved:

Yanec Laptop AC Adapter 90W

http://www.replacedirect.nl/product/P0115021/yanec-laptop-ac-adapter-90w.html

EAN code: 8718309027773

Inside the laptop

However, the problem is NOT solved. The laptop still won't turn on.

So I took a look inside of the laptop. Turns out that copper heat thing is not attached anymore (see picture).

My plan was to replace the thermal paste. But I don't think that will solve the problem, because that copper thing is bent (not sure how to bend it back).

And by the way, when this copper thing is not attached anymore, the laptop should still turn on, right? Because that copper thing only conducts the heat away, preventing the laptop to overheat, right? My humble conclusion: replacing the thermal paste won't solve the main problem of the laptop not turning on.

Question:

How to fix the main problem of the laptop not turning on anymore? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

Hi.

May not be what you want to hear but the broken connection looks to be related to the graphics card. If it overheated to the point of breaking solder (interrupting the flow of electricity), then that laptop is basically toasted. There is the option of having the GPU re-flowed to correct any broken solder traces, but this procedure may only provide a temporary fix or it may be long lasting.

Reflowing solder on mobos should be done by a professional with the proper equipment. Otherwise there may be more damage done to the mobo: Some "techs" will just bake the mobo in an oven or wrap the machine to make it overheat in an attempt to reflow. This is not reliable and will undoubtedly cause irreparable damage.

As to reconnecting the separated pieces: one would need to bend the heat-pipe back to normal position and resolder. The tolerances here are great and no room for mistakes (to avoid heat related issues).

Edit: Yes... that separated piece can in fact effect the powering on of machine. As stated the heating to extremes and then cooling down will cause broken solder-traces resulting in interrupted flow of electricity (which the laptop needs to power up).

Edited by bludgard, 16 January 2016 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users