Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Introduction At Last

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I found this site while doing an internet search on KAVMonitorService and Klif device. I signed up the first day, on July 14. I can't believe that is two weeks ago already.

I have done quite a bit of reading in tutorials, and stuff on linked sites such as the Tweaking Companion. I really like the clear instructions. :thumbsup:

I took some computer programming in High School in the early 1980's, Basic Language on Apple 2E, and a bit of Pascal in the later 80's when I was an undergraduate student at Indiana University. Didn't do anything else with computers until I took a jumpstart class on WordPerfect 5.0 in Spring 1989 at I.U. I wrote quite a few papers and resumes with WordPerfect during the next year or so. These computers didn't have mice, unless some four-footed ones were running around. I graduated in 1990. Didn't do computer stuff again for another couple years or so, until I got some basic intro. classes and training at the public library partly in connection with my volunteer tutoring job. I got a public access e-mail account, and learned a bit about using Microsoft Word and a tiny bit about searching the internet. My only access to computers was the public library.

That was the extent of my computer stuff until I went back to school in 2002. I took a class: Computers in Education and at first had a terrible time understanding the instructor. He thought it was because his first language was not English, but that was not the reason. It was the computer lingo. I Didn't understand "right click." I didn't understand "select," I finally realized it was what I called "highlight." Anyway, I did really well in the class: he was and is a great teacher.

I bought my computer in Spring 2004 with the technical assistance of one of my English teachers.

I worked as a weaver from 1990-2002. I've been a volunteer tutor since Sept. 1991. I tutor English as a Second Language. I just graduated with a master's in Language Education. My minor is teaching English as a Second Language. (No, I do not speak any languages other than English. We U.S. folks have a tendency of being mono-lingual. Non-native English speakers speak their own language plus at least one more. Wow! I wish I could say the same.) Once I really understand how something is done, I can explain it in simple clear steps, which is helpful for those new to the subject and to non-native English speakers.

I never thought I would get active in a discussion board outside of classwork, but I have found this site to be very helpful and interesting, and I like to be helpful, so here I am. My dad calls this machine (my computer) "the monster" and says that it will kill me. Well, once I start something I like to finish it right - like describing how to set up the computer so that the smilies will move around. :flowers: So, I lose track of time and stay up all night even when I have to tutor the next morning or go to a job interview!

I think I've rambled on enough, so good night (or morning rather :trumpet: ), and I'll see you around in the website.

Orange Blossom

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 July 2006 - 02:57 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:36 AM

Ahhh, a fellow Night Owl. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer, Orange Blossom.
We're happy you decided to join us.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

Posted Image Orange Blossom
It's good to see you here at BC :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

If you browse many of the computer forums hovering around the Internet, you will discover very few of them that attempt to explain---as much as possible for the subject matter---things in a simple, straightforward, and non-technical level, and to do so in a friendly and unpatronising manner that o0ne finds here at BC.
I think you will really enjoy BC, and fit right in.
Welcome to this great user community!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users