Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuttering/fpsdrops on new laptop Acer v15 Nitro

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rayto

rayto

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

Hello!

Not long time ago i bought myself Acer V15 Nitro laptop. GeForce GTX 860m Intel Core i5 4210H 2.9GHz 8gb RAM dysk SSD / HDD

.. And i got problem with it. When i play games im getting stutter / fps drops. For example on cs:go it goes like : I play 5 minutes > I got freeze for 2 seconds > I play one minute > I got freeze for 2 seconds > I play again.... and on and on...

In World of Warcraft its bit different because instead of freezes im getting huge fps drops every few minutes.

Things i tried already : /Setting fresh system /Reinstalling windows between 8.1 and 10 (same problem on both) /Getting new drivers / older driver versions for my graphic /Closed background programs while playing

Nothing seems to work. Any ideas what else i could do? Thanks for any advices and sorry for my poor english :|

Edited by rayto, 16 January 2016 - 05:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

Since it's a laptop I would think it is thermal throttling. That is when the cpu and gpu are working hard, heat up and slow down to prevent overheating. You could get a cooling table to cool it.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 rayto

rayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

I've got cooling pad. Without using pad and just after the "lag" i took these screens. Btw. some of these are in Polish but i think you can manage to understand it. 

http://i.imgur.com/IePFCKq.png
http://i.imgur.com/m7rDsf1.png
http://i.imgur.com/71Yq5wM.png

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

Your pc is definitely thermal throttling. The cpu was as high as 91C and the gpu was up to 78C which is way too hot. You may want to replace the thermal paste on the cpu.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 rayto

rayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

Tried to replace paste. Took me about 2h to unscrew and open everything and still i didnt got it because i couldnt unscrew one screw. : (

#6 rayto

rayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:10 AM

So after long fight with my laptop i managed to open everything (except adding thermal paste i still cant unscrew one screw :( )

And i found this :

http://imgur.com/a/I0FNF

Photos arent best quality but...

http://i.imgur.com/dbFGASq.png

Its part of 1st photo from 1st link.

You can see there bottom of my keyboard. I found strange that there is foil all over this metal bottom of my keyboard (red border on image 2). I can guess that its there to prevent any damage dealt by this metal to main board when you put everything back in. So i guess it have its prupose but is it really needed there? Problem is that its slightly going aboard to the vent area. It is kinda blocking air circulation there isnt it? Should i cut this part (blue border on image 2)? it might be issue i guess... Is it safe to remove it?

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:56 AM

I wouldn't remove it if you don't know why it's there, that might have unintended consequences. So have you looked at the cpu cooler? Try to clean dust from it.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 rayto

rayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Every little bit of dust removed. Still bad temperatures and i still couldnt unscrew one screw to replace paste on CPU. :(

I have question : Can i add more paste to old one? I cant remove cooling system but i can manage to add paste with stick or something. I cant clean old one tho. :/

Edited by rayto, 19 January 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

Don't add more without removing the old paste. That will actually have the opposite effect. See what you can do to remove that screw.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 rayto

rayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:35 AM

Removed old paste and applied best i could get. Didn't help too much.

By the way can someone give me links to programs that are able to check temperatures live and can force to be on top of screen?

I want to see temepatures non-stop even when playing games. Is it possible?

Also is it possible to lock my laptop in bios to close windows at 95C?

Edited by rayto, 22 January 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

If you have an external monitor you could hook the laptop up to that to read temps

For the second part... I'm surprised at such high temps the laptop didn't shut down by itself. It should be a setting in the bios.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users